Suriya Pays A Homage To Raj KapoorAugust 26th, 2010 - 2:57 pm ICT by Sampurn Wire
August 26, 2010 (Sampurn Wire): Tamil superstar Suriya could teach his Bollywood counterparts a thing or two about method acting. For a role that is a homage to Raj Kapoor in “Mera Naam Joker’ not only has the young actor spent a major part of this year preparing for his role as a circus artiste Suriya now intends to put up a public show of his newly acquired skills to prove they are authentic.
For his Hindi – Tamil - Telugu Tri - lingual film “The Seventh Sense’ in which he plays a circus artiste Suriya has been practicing every conceivable circus stunt. He can now walk the trapeze, blow fire out of his mouth and juggle with six balls. In fact the ball jugglery has been the favorite part of Suriya’s preparation for his role and he just can’t get enough of it.
Now to prove to his audience that the circus feats they will see him perform in the film are not doctored Suriya will go public with his skills. The film’s director Murugadoss who’s currently shooting with Suriya in a live circus at Coimbatore confirms the actor’s plans to hold a public performance of his skill.
Says the director who last worked with another method actor called Aamir Khan in “Ghajini’, “For the last six months Suriya has been trained by a circus veteran who came home to Suriya every day for a couple of hours of practice. Secretly Suriya has been learning all the ropes of being a complete circus artiste. His character is not supposed to specialize in one skill alone. Suriya had to learn everything that a circus artiste does. He specially loves the ball juggling. He has mastered juggling six balls simultaneously. He loves performing for his kids and friends.”
Suriya’s mastery over the art of jugglery and other circus stunts will now be on public display. Says Murugadoss, “Suriya will perform all his circus tricks live on stage at the music release function for our film. He doesn’t want his fans to think that the stunts they’d see him do in the film are special effects. He has worked hard to learn the tricks and he wants the audience to appreciate it.”
Not only this. In Coimbatore during the current shooting at a real circus Suriya spends non -shooting hours entertaining the circus artistes with his tricks.
Says Murugadoss, “Suriya is good enough to impress actual circus artistes who have spent all their life mastering the tricks.”
Adds the director, “It’s been decades since any film set in a circus was made. I can only think of Raj Kapoor Saab’s “Mera Naam Joker’ and Kamal Haasan Sir’s “Appu Raja’. Suriya pays homage to both the actors. His commitment to the project is so complete he not only looks his part he feels as though he’s part of a circus.”
Having worked with two method actors one wonders how Murugadoss would feel working with the spontaneous one - take Akshay Kumar next!
Adds Suriya, “I actually went and stayed with a circus, the Great Bombay Circus. Do you know there are only 7 - 8 circus companies remaining in the country? It’s frightening how popular entertainment like television has ousted its traditional counterpart. I loved learning circus tricks specially jugglery. I don’t want people to think it is special effects.”
– Subhash K Jha/ Sampurn Wire
- Suriya pays tribute to Raj Kapoor with his film - Aug 27, 2010
- Novel theme makes '7aam Arivu' a good watch (Tamil Movie Review) - Oct 30, 2011
- Rishi Kapoor's autobiography to release next year - Sep 02, 2012
- Kapoors faced financial crunch after 'Mera Naam Joker' - Apr 07, 2011
- Bollywood's first macho man Dara Singh's filmography - Jul 12, 2012
- Dara Singh still 'very critical' - Jul 10, 2012
- 'Joker' is not comedy: Shrish Kunder - Jan 22, 2012
- Suriya To Join Hands With Hari Again - Dec 15, 2010
- 7 AUM ARIVU completes first schedule - Sep 21, 2010
- Dara Singh shifted home, still on ventilator (Lead) - Jul 12, 2012
- A.R. Murugadoss to produce films - Aug 24, 2010
- Dara Singh still critical, undergoes dialysis - Jul 09, 2012
- Dara Singh critical, MRI shows damage to brain - Jul 11, 2012
- Dara Singh remains critical - Jul 08, 2012
- Working With Ram Gopal Verma Is Immensely Satisfying Says Suriya - Nov 18, 2010
Tags: aamir khan, balls, circus stunts, circus tricks, coimbatore, counterparts, feats, ghajini, homage, method actor, music release, naam, public performance, raj kapoor, ropes, seventh sense, six months, stu, veteran, young actor