Supermarket shopping bags are the latest status symbol!November 14th, 2007 - 1:59 am ICT by admin
The survey has shown that one in eight people believe shopping at supermarkets reflects their place on the social ladder.
As a result, the average Briton spends an extra 260 pounds a year by shopping at an uptown supermarket.
One out of ten people asserted that they feel embarrassed if spotted in a supermarket that has a downmarket image.
The firm claimed that many people considered the supermarket as a higher status symbol than their education.
Similar is the case with parading shopping bags; almost half of the 1,631 people surveyed thought that the right carrier bag was more important than a fashionable handbag.
“According to our study, the carrier bag is the accessory of 2007,” the Daily Mail quoted Larry File, marketing controller for Ginsters, as saying.
“Among the fashionable crowd, you need to be seen with the right supermarket bag to make an impression.
“In fact, a proportion of consumers felt that people would pay more attention to their shopping bag than to the design of their handbag.
“Knowing this might have saved someone like Victoria Beckham a small fortune,” he added.
Peter Jackson, professor of human geography at Sheffield University, said, “People will often say they go to a supermarket for convenience or value.
“But really what they are looking for is somewhere that is full of, as they put it, ‘nice people like me’,” he added.
Professor Clifford Guy, a retail development expert from Cardiff University, said, “This kind of snobbery undoubtedly exists but the distinctions are being blurred.
“Aldi, for example, has done well recently because it has a new wine buyer and is attracting customers from the more upmarket stores,” he added. (ANI)
- Kate Middleton might face 'Royal' snobbery in new role at Palace, finds poll - Apr 23, 2011
- Mulberry On A High After Sales Exceed Expectation - Oct 10, 2010
- What's between sheets? Facebook, Twitter! - Dec 13, 2010
- Britons spent 50.5 mn pounds on gadgets during recession - Aug 26, 2010
- Women get more pleasure in buying bags - Sep 25, 2011
- Mary, Ashley to design luxury handbag range - Jul 15, 2011
- Better off people have sounder health - Apr 11, 2012
- Menswear Fashion Label Includes 185 pound Paper Bag - Aug 31, 2012
- Brits love their cheese and pickle sandwich above all - May 12, 2009
- German Supermarket scores with its nudist gimmick - Jun 18, 2012
- Men's toilet 'captured' to mark International Women's Day - Mar 07, 2012
- Look forward to seeing India, opening my shops: Paris Hilton - Sep 16, 2011
- British ladies carry rotten fish to sex toys in handbags! - Nov 26, 2011
- Britons admit having sex with people they met on Facebook - Nov 15, 2010
- US restaurant sells handbags made from cows customers have just eaten - Feb 11, 2011
Tags: aldi, cardiff university, carrier bag, development expert, embarrassed, extra 260, fashionable, ginsters, handbag, human geography, jackson professor, mail, pay more attention, sheffield university, shopping bags, small fortune, social ladder, status symbol, victoria beckham, wine buyer