Summer bonanza awaits children on televisionMay 13th, 2010 - 12:32 pm ICT by IANS
By Manpreet Kaur
New Delhi, May 13 (IANS) It’s not just children who are looking forward to the summer vacations. For TV channels catering to them, it’s a great time to lure young ones with new shows and some are even offering foreign trips as the big prize!
“Summer is always an important viewing period for us. We foresee our viewership growing by 20-25 percent during this period. This is the time when kids genre receives a phenomenal rise,” Kashmira Gandhi, a director of Nick India, told IANS.
India offers a total of nine channels for kids - Cartoon Network, POGO, Nick, Disney channel, Hungama TV, Disney XD and three regional channels Chutti TV (Tamil), Kushi TV (Telugu) and Chintu TV (Kannada).
Most of the channels are trying to catch more eyeballs with new shows and contests.
“During holidays viewership goes up by 20 percent in comparison to the rest of the year. We see a rise in terms of children spending time on our channels which varies between 120 and 200 minutes,” Devika Prabhu, associate director of programming, Walt Disney TV International (India), told IANS over phone.
The timetable includes changes in the indoor programme format and, besides, the bosses are also giving weightage to on-ground activities.
“This summer POGO will present a special edition of its popular movie block,” said Krishna Desai, director-programming, South Asia, Turner International India Pvt. Ltd.
It is called “Lights Camera POGO Badaa Cinema” and the more-than-a- month-long programme is on from May 2 to June 27. Every Sunday at 12 noon movies like “Drona”, “Detective Nani”, “Bhootnath”, “Meerabai Not Out”, “Return of Hanuman” and “Chain Kulii Ki Main Kulii” will be screened.
“POGO will also launch new episodes of Indian animation hero - ‘Chhota Bheem’, art show M.A.D. and a brand new comic show ‘Kyoro Chan’,” Desai added.
Hungama TV is banking on its popular shows.
“Hungama TV is positioned as a fun channel and it is offering new episodes of popular shows ‘Doraemon’, ‘Kiteretsu and ‘Shin Chan’. New show ‘Robotan’ will also be launched soon,” said Prabhu.
“Disney has introduced a theme celebration titled ‘Superstars Summer’, which will feature a new Disney star every week. The latest to join is Omi Vaidya, who played Chatur in ‘3 Idiots’. He is doing a cameo in the channel’s popular show ‘Kya Mast Hai Life’,” Prabhu added.
Disney will also offer an international trip to the winner as a prize. The channel will be handing out 1,001 prizes to its viewers for answering questions aired on the channel at the end of every programme and the first prize will be a trip to Disneyland.
The other activities include Hungama’s Karaoke marathon that will give a chance to the winner to feature in a special music video for the channel.
“Nick is attempting a 360 degree plan by spreading its wings with a new series - ‘Kung Fu-Master of the Zodiac’,” said Gandhi.
Nick is also planning a trip to London as a prize. Gandhi, however,refused to divulge details.
(Manpreet Kaur can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Hungama TV to entertain Tamil, Telugu kids - Jan 08, 2010
- Fly with Mickey, Minnie in Jet's Disney-themed aircraft (With image) - Jul 09, 2012
- Walt Disney, UTV to co-produce family films - May 19, 2011
- Disney Channel Announces India Premiere Of Disney Channel Original Movie "Camp Rock 2 ... - Oct 18, 2010
- A SUMMER CARNIVAL OF INDIAN ANIMATION ON CARTOON NETWORK and POGO - Apr 28, 2009
- "Jonas LA" To Be Canceled By Disney - Nov 10, 2010
- POGO To Launch F.A.Q. Season II On August 14 - Aug 10, 2010
- 'Hannah Montana' Sets Record On The Concluding Episode - Jan 19, 2011
- Facebook CEO upgrades relationship status - Married (Lead) - May 20, 2012
- Sun Network In Strategic Alliance With Network18 To Form Sun18 - Jul 21, 2010
- HASTENING THE HOLIDAYS, POGO LAUNCHES - Apr 08, 2009
- Got a new TV show idea? Disney will make it! - Feb 16, 2010
- Miley Cyrus' Disney return - May 08, 2012
- Gurdeep Kohli to play lady cop in 'Rowdy Rathore' - May 29, 2012
- Disney Channel announces TV premiere of Ray's 'Feluda - The Kathmandu Caper' - Dec 24, 2010
Tags: cartoon network, chain kulii ki main kulii, desai, director programming, disney channel, disney tv, disney xd, hanuman, hungama tv, india pvt ltd, lights camera, manpreet kaur, meerabai, phenomenal rise, pogo, regional channels, summer vacations, turner international, viewership, young ones