Success more dangerous than failure: Shahid Kapoor (Interview)May 20th, 2012 - 2:22 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, May 20 (IANS) In his almost a decade-old Bollywood career, Shahid Kapoor has gone through a lot of personal and professional ups and downs. But despite as many as six back-to-back box office disappointments behind him, he is undeterred because he feels success can do more harm than failure.
“Success can be more dangerous than failure. When you are successful, you feel that you are doing everything right. So, failure can teach you a lot. I just believe in ‘Go out and do your best,’” Shahid told IANS.
After Vishal Bharadwaj’s hit film “Kaminey” in which he featured in a double role opposite Priyanka Chopra, Shahid was seen in “Dil Bole Hadippa!”, “Chance Pe Dance”, “Paathshaala”, “Badmaash Company”, “Milenge Milenge” and “Mausam”. Alas, none of them generated good business.
Now he will once again be seen with Priyanka, his rumoured former girlfriend, in Kunal Kohli’s “Teri Meri Kahaani”. He is hopeful their chemistry will work for the film, which he says is diametrically different from “Kaminey”.
“I think the audience really liked me and her (Priyanka) in ‘Kaminey’. It’s always fun working with her. This film is very much different from ‘Kaminey’ and nothing will look similar,” he said.
At first, Shahid thought “Teri Meri Kahaani”, which depicts a love story in three different eras, was about reincarnation. But the director put his doubts to rest.
“One day over coffee, Kunal said he had an idea which he really loved, but it was not developed. It was just a one-line story. He told me it would be an entertaining love story with the same two actors in three different time periods,” Shahid said.
“I, however, had reservations about doing a reincarnation film. Kunal assured me that it would be a romantic comedy. I found that interesting. I was not skeptical before signing the film because it’s a very simple film. It’s not complicated at all,” he added.
Out of the three eras, Shahid personally enjoyed playing the character of a Muslim boy named Javed.
“When Kunal said we are starting from the 1910s, I told him: ‘It’s so boring, the pre-independence era is like going back to history class.’ Kunal briefed me about the character and said he is the most misbehaved character of that era.
“His name is Javed and his only job is to pick up women. I really enjoyed playing Javed’s version,” Shahid said.
“Teri Meri Kahaani” will release June 22.
During the film’s shooting, reports indicated that Shahid and Priyanka shared a cold war on the sets. But Shahid says he remains unaffected with such speculations.
“I don’t deal with these situations. I just let them go. Just ignore this news and move on. These reports don’t bother me,” he said.
But asked about his favourite female co-star from a bouquet as diverse as Kareena Kapoor, Sonam Kapoor, Anushka Sharma, Amrita Rao, Rani Mukerji and Vidya Balan, he responded: “Do you think I will answer this question? Not for million bucks!”
“My funda is never choose between women,” Shahid said as he flashed his dimpled smile.
(Uma Ramasubramaniam can be contacted at email@example.com)
- Shahid in love with his character Javed (With Images) - Apr 11, 2012
- Despite shoe bites, Shahid shoots 'Teri Meri Kahaani' (With Image) - May 22, 2012
- Doing 'shayari' made me nervous: Shahid Kapoor - Apr 06, 2012
- Shahid-Priyanka chemistry in 'Teri Meri...' better than 'Kaminey' - Apr 12, 2012
- Neha Sharma is Shahid's love interest in 'Teri Meri Kahaani' - May 12, 2012
- Priyanka hungry for more meaty roles - Apr 11, 2012
- 'Teri Meri...' pays tribute to 1960s movie legends - May 29, 2012
- Cinema needs to wean society from prejudices: Kunal Kohli - May 26, 2012
- Priyanka urges people to watch cousin's 'Ishaqzaade' - Apr 08, 2012
- Old vs new -- 'Teri Meri Kahaani' set designer in time warp - Jun 01, 2012
- Kunal Kohli apes late Vijay Anand's style in 'Uff' - Jun 06, 2012
- Bollywood goes back and forth in time (Feature) - May 05, 2012
- 'Teri Meri Kahaani' happened over coffee: Shahid - May 09, 2012
- For Pooja Bhatt, 'Jism 2' director-proof script (Movie Snippets) - Jun 10, 2012
- Kohli hooked on to love stories, prefers creating romantic sagas - May 27, 2012
Tags: bole, box office, different time, disappointments, doubts, eras, failure success, former girlfriend, good business, kunal kohli, love story, priyanka chopra, reincarnation, romantic comedy, shahid kapoor, teri meri, time periods, ups, ups and downs, vishal bharadwaj