‘Strictly Come Dancing’ named ‘world’s most successful reality TV format’November 24th, 2010 - 12:01 pm ICT by ANI
London, Nov 24 (ANI): The BBC’s popular dance show, ‘Strictly Come Dancing’, has entered the Guinness Book of World Records as the world’s most successful reality television format.
The show has been sold to 38 countries across the globe and more than a quarter of a billion people are believed to have watched an international version of the programme since it was launched.
The international spin-offs, which are sold as ‘Dancing With The Stars’, helped the BBC’s commercial arm to record profits of 145.2 million pounds last year, reports the Telegraph.
It is distributed by BBC Worldwide, which pushed sales above 1 billion pounds for the second year in a row during the 12 months to March 31.
BBC Worldwide has described profits from the overseas versions of ‘Strictly Come Dancing’ as “excellent.”
Australia was the first country to adapt the show and the format has become hugely popular in the United States where it is now in its 11th season.
Other countries to have picked it up include Albania, Argentina, Brazil, China, Germany, India, Israel, New Zealand, Russia, South Africa, Turkey and Ukraine.(ANI)
- 'Strictly Come Dancing' is world's most successful reality TV format - Sep 15, 2009
- Saudi Arabia's version of the 'Got Talent' bans women from taking part - Jun 18, 2012
- Microsoft Kinect becomes fastest-selling electronic device of all time - Mar 11, 2011
- Over 1,000 Cambodians dance for world record - Apr 29, 2012
- Katie Price to appear on dance reality show - Apr 13, 2012
- India's lost $128 bn in illicit capital outflow in a decade - Dec 15, 2011
- Alan Sugar turned down Celebrity Big Brother - Dec 23, 2011
- Terence Lewis creates Guinness World Record (With Images) - Mar 21, 2011
- 'The Situation' gets a Jersey Shore spin off - May 05, 2011
- Guinness crowns Igor Vovkovinskiy as the 'New tallest man in U.S.' - May 26, 2010
- Is Johnny Ball going to join 'Strictly Come Dancing'? - Aug 31, 2012
- Some TV contestants were really cheeky: Preity Zinta (Interview) - Mar 10, 2011
- Colors to bring 'Guinness World Records' to India - Dec 24, 2010
- New Tallest Man In U.S. Is A Barack Obama Fan - May 26, 2010
- Bangladeshi computer wiz kid eyes Guinness records - Apr 30, 2012
Tags: 1 billion, 12 months, albania, argentina brazil, bbc, book of world records, commercial arm, dancing with the stars, globe, guinness book of world, guinness book of world records, profits, reality television, reality tv, russia, south africa, spin offs, telegraph, television format, tv format