Stress triggers Catherine Zeta-Jones’s bipolar disorderApril 16th, 2011 - 12:21 am ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
New York, April 15 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Recent announcement by Catherine Zeta-Jones that she suffered bipolar II disorder after coming under stress have got many people wondering if stress could cause the disorder.
Scientists explain that stress in itself cannot cause bipolar II disorder but it could trigger it in genetically vulnerable people.
An assistant director of the Mood Disorders Program at Rhode Island Hospital and a clinical associate professor of psychiatry at Brown University, Dr. David Solomon, in an interview with LiveScience.com explained that people who have the illness are in a way vulnerable genetically. He said stress can trigger the condition.
Zeta-Jones has been struggling with her husband’s throat cancer treatment. Michael Douglas was diagnosed with throat cancer last year and he successfully underwent chemotherapy. Zeta-Jones explained that the stress associated with the treatment caused her to suffer a dipolar disorder. She has subsequently seen her doctor for help.
The news of Zeta-Jones’ stress-triggered bipolar disorder was broken by her publicist during an interview with NBC’s “Today Show.”
In the United States, about 2.6 percent of the population is believed to have a bipolar disorder. The National Institutes of Health classify most of the cases as severe.
- Zeta-Jones 'hopes to remove stigma from depression' - Apr 21, 2011
- Douglas' kids unaware about Zeta-Jones bipolar struggle - May 11, 2011
- Zeta-Jones checks into mental health facility - Apr 14, 2011
- Proud of Zeta-Jones for seeking help: Demi Lovato - Apr 15, 2011
- Michael Douglas: 'Media outed Catherine Zeta-Jones Bipolar Disorder' - Apr 27, 2011
- Catherine Zeta Jones 'received treatment for manic depression' - Apr 14, 2011
- British stiff upper lip caused Catherine Zeta-Jones' break down: Michael Douglas - Apr 27, 2011
- Zeta-Jones doing great: Michael Douglas - Jun 13, 2011
- Catherine Zeta-Jones quits smoking - Aug 07, 2011
- Zeta-Jones steps out in public with Douglas - Apr 17, 2011
- Jameela Jamil 'guarantees Zeta-Jones' bipolar disorder is menopause' - Apr 15, 2011
- Demi Lovato says bullying sparked eating disorder - Apr 21, 2011
- Catherine Zeta Jones' agony over Michael Douglas's throat cancer - Sep 05, 2010
- Michael Douglas proud of Catherine - Apr 22, 2011
- Zeta-Jones not pregnant - Jan 26, 2012
Tags: assistant director, bipolar, bipolar disorder, bipolar ii, brown university, cancer treatment, catherine zeta jones, chemotherapy, clinical associate professor, david solomon, dipolar disorder, dr david, michael douglas, mood disorders program, national institutes of health, psychiatry, publicist, throat cancer, today show, university dr