Stolen ”Adolf Hitler’’s gold bookmark” recovered in USNovember 27th, 2008 - 2:20 pm ICT by ANI
London, Nov 27 (ANI): US police officers have arrested a man who tried to sell a stolen gold bookmark that reportedly belonged to Adolf Hitler.
The 18-carat artefact, which had been missing since it was stolen six years ago, is engraved with a message to the German Nazi leader from his wife Eva Braun, reports the Telegraph.
The bookmark is engraved with a portrait of Hitler as well as an imperial eagle and swastika, and its inscription indicates that Braun gave it to Hitler to console him after German forces surrendered at Stalingrad in 1943.
It reads “My Adolf, the loss was “only an inconvenience that will not break your certainty of victory. My love for you will be eternal, as our Reich will be eternal. Always yours, Eva. 3-2-43.”
The bookmark was recovered after a Romanian named Christian Popescu attempted to sell it to an undercover agent for 65,000 pounds.
Officers arrested Popescu and seized the ornament in a swoop on the car park of a Starbucks in Bellevue, Seattle as the agent handed over the money.
The bookmark was among several items stolen from an auction house in Madrid, Spain, six years ago. At the time, some antiquities experts questioned its authenticity, and it was valued at between 8,000 pounds and 11,000 pounds.
Popescu was due to appear in court in Seattle on one count of sale or receipt of stolen goods. (ANI)
- Romanian pleads guilty to theft of Hitler bookmark - Mar 13, 2009
- Hitler's bedsheets up for auction - Nov 25, 2011
- Photo of Adolf Hitler's lover Eva Braun dressed as black man emerges - Mar 11, 2011
- Bollywood's Hitler biopic with Indian twist - Jun 09, 2010
- Film on Hitler to hit screens July 29 (With Images) - Jul 02, 2011
- I've challenged myself with 'Dear Friend Hitler': Neha Dhupia - Apr 18, 2011
- FBI believed Hitler 'faked his own death with a bogus suicide' in 1945 - Apr 10, 2011
- My name is being used for publicity: Anupam Kher - Jul 20, 2011
- Rare Hitler colour photos found - Jan 12, 2012
- Eva Braun's pictures helped Ruchi Pugalia design Neha's clothes - Jul 26, 2011
- Hitler's paintings to be auctioned in Sweden - Nov 08, 2011
- Hitler's exhibition in Berlin extended due to throngs of visitors - Jan 07, 2011
- Hitler's Viagra made from semen, young bulls - Feb 06, 2010
- Hitler had son with French teen - Feb 18, 2012
- Hitler enjoyed bread, marmalade for breakfast - Oct 29, 2010
Tags: adolf hitler, antiquities, artefact, auction house, authenticity, car park, carat, christian popescu, eva braun, german forces, german nazi leader, imperial eagle, inconvenience, madrid spain, stalingrad, starbucks, swastika, swoop, undercover agent, wife eva