‘Stayin’ Alive’ singer Robin Gibb deadMay 21st, 2012 - 2:18 pm ICT by IANS
London, May 21 (IANS) Bee Gees singer Robin Gibb, who was battling colon and liver cancer, died Sunday. He was 62.
“The family of Robin Gibb, of the Bee Gees, announce with great sadness that Robin passed away today following his long battle with cancer and intestinal surgery,” contactmusic.com quoted an official statement.
“The family have asked that their privacy is respected at this very difficult time,” the statement read further.
Born in the Isle of Man, Gibb began his music career as a teen when he joined forces with his twin brother Maurice and older sibling Barry to form the Bee Gees.
He suffered a career setback in August 2010 when he was hospitalised with stomach pains after performing in Belgium. He underwent emergency surgery for a blocked intestine.
In November 2011, it was reported that the singer was suffering from cancer. He confirmed the news in January this year, revealing that doctors had found a tumour in his colon 18 months earlier, before the disease spread to his liver.
In April this year, Robin announced his cancer was in remission.
“The results of my treatment have been spectacular - that’s the doctors’ verdict. They’re completely stunned by my progress and it gets better all the time. The speed of the treatment and the results have overwhelmed everybody. All the doctors have said so,” he had earlier said.
But days after declaring he was winning his health battle, Gibb was back under doctors’ care after falling ill with pneumonia and slipped into a coma.
He was set to undertake further chemotherapy sessions at the time of his death.
- Robin Gibb in coma - Apr 14, 2012
- Bee Gees singer Robin Gibb dies of cancer - May 22, 2012
- Robin Gibb battles pneumonia - Apr 09, 2012
- Robin Gibb's death was caused by kidney failure - May 28, 2012
- Heartaches could be payback time: Gibb - Mar 12, 2012
- Gibb's dying wish to go home - Jun 12, 2012
- Robin Gibb 'recovering from emergency stomach surgery' - Sep 03, 2010
- Robin Gibb unable to speak - May 17, 2012
- Robin Gibb is battling liver cancer - Nov 21, 2011
- Dad died of kidney failure: Robin Gibb's son - May 27, 2012
- "Sky News" Presenter Steve Dixon Blunders Over 'Bee Gees' Brothers - Oct 11, 2010
- Gibb refused cancer scans: wife - Aug 19, 2012
- Robin Gibb reveals how he almost died from a blocked intestine - Dec 21, 2010
- Horse-drawn carriage to carry Gibb's coffin - Jun 07, 2012
- Robin Gibb to continue tour despite major surgery - Oct 31, 2010
Tags: bee gees, brother maurice, chemotherapy, colon, dead london, emergency surgery, intestinal surgery, intestine, isle of man, liver cancer, music career, pneumonia, robin gibb dead, sadness, setback, sibling, stomach pains, tumour, twin brother, very difficult time