Stars pay tribute as ‘beautiful’ Dame Elizabeth Taylor diesMarch 24th, 2011 - 11:40 am ICT by ANI
London, March 24 (ANI): A host of Hollywood stars have paid tribute to the ‘extraordinary woman’ Dame Elizabeth Taylor following her death in Los Angeles at the age of 79.
Her passing was announced on Wednesday around 1300 GMT, prompting a slew of reactions from famous fans, friends and former associates, reports the BBC.
Her eldest son, Michael Wilding led the tributes in the following statement:
“My Mother was an extraordinary woman who lived life to the fullest, with great passion, humour and love.
“Though her loss is devastating to those of us who held her so close and so dear, we will always be inspired by her enduring contribution to our world.
“Her remarkable body of work in film, her ongoing success as a businesswoman, and her brave and relentless advocacy in the fight against HIV/Aids, all make us all incredibly proud of what she accomplished.
“We know, quite simply, that the world is a better place for Mom having lived in it. Her legacy will never fade, her spirit will always be with us, and her love will live forever in our hearts.”
Sir Michael Caine, actor
So sad to hear about my beautiful friend Elizabeth Taylor.
We made a movie together many years ago and became friends. I got to know a beautiful woman, a wonderful actress and a great human being.
Like so many others I will miss her very much.
Michael Caine appeared with Taylor in the 1972 film X, Y and Zee.
Sir Elton John, singer
We have just lost a Hollywood giant. More importantly, we have lost an incredible human being.
Elizabeth Taylor earned her fame with her extraordinary talent as a young actress, making her first movie at the tender age of nine. She earned our adoration for her stunning beauty and for being the very essence of glamorous movie stardom.
And she earned our enduring love and respect for her compassion and her courage in standing up and speaking out about Aids when others preferred to bury their heads in the sand.
Larry King, broadcaster
Elizabeth Taylor was a great friend, a great star and one gutsy woman.
She was so special. You won’t see the likes of her again.
Piers Morgan, broadcaster
One of the great movie stars of all time, on and off screen. (ANI)
- The science behind Dame Elizabeth Taylor's beauty - Mar 24, 2011
- Rest in peace Elizabeth Taylor, Bollywood celebs tweet - Mar 24, 2011
- Elizabeth Taylor auction raises over $150 mn - Dec 21, 2011
- Battle over Liz Taylor memoirs begins just days after her death - Mar 25, 2011
- Elton John pays tribute to Elizabeth Taylor - Mar 25, 2011
- Liz Taylor sent gifts to the cast of 'Sex and the City' - Apr 12, 2011
- Indians loved Elizabeth Taylor, the original Hollywood diva - Mar 24, 2011
- Christie's to auction Liz Taylor's clothes, accessories - Jun 30, 2011
- Liz Taylor's 'White Diamonds' still best-selling celeb fragrance - Mar 25, 2011
- Liz Hurley, Sir Michael Caine congratulate first-time father Elton John - Dec 29, 2010
- Adele declines Winehouse tribute show - Jul 20, 2012
- Blake Lively loves her role in 'Savages' - Jul 04, 2012
- What women want, actresses tell on Women's Day - Mar 07, 2012
- Noomi Rapace refuses to look sexy - May 14, 2012
- James Dean 'told Elizabeth Taylor he was molested at the age of 11' - Mar 25, 2011
Tags: beautiful friend, businesswoman, dame elizabeth taylor, elizabeth taylor, extraordinary woman, film x, friend elizabeth, hiv aids, hollywood stars, john singer, london march, michael caine, michael wilding, movie stardom, remarkable body, sir elton john, sir michael caine, stunning beauty, x y and zee, young actress