“Star Wars” On New York City SubwayJuly 15th, 2010 - 7:42 pm ICT by GD
By Gina Gomez
New York City, July 15, (THAINDIAN NEWS) Subway riders in New York city were in for a huge treat this week when to their utter amazement they witnessed a scene from the “Star Wars” earlier this week. This was a ride that all the commuters aboard the number 6 train in the city’s subway system would surely not forget in a long time when their mundane metro rides was converted into a spectacle owing to the spectacular performance by the city based group Improve Everywhere.
Improv Everywhere comprises of a loose-knit group pf people who excel in acting and are known to successfully carry out hilarious stunts and pranks in public places. The group of theater nerd often get involved in out of the ordinary behavior that leaves bystanders rather shocked. The ‘Star Wars’ role-play was the latest offering by the Improv Everywhere which took the car-full of subway riders by surprise this week. As commuters were waiting to reach their destination, things suddenly got a bit weird when a band of storm troopers entered the train and surrounded one of their colleagues who is dressed as Princess Leia who is busy reading a copy of Galactic Rebellion For Dummies. All of a sudden, Darth Vader makes an appearance and demands that Princess Leia be taken away.
Meanwhile, the reaction that this act by Improv Everywhere sparked among the subway riders was wide-ranging with some of them capturing the “Star Wars” role-play with their phones and cameras. However, the stunt left very few of the commuters rather bewildered who preferred to stick to their newspapers rather than showing any interest in the space-aged adventure.
July 15, 2010 (Pen Men at Work): The New Yorkers, travelling on the subway were astonished to see the Princess Leia of Star wars fame climb aboard the train. She did not give any one a chance to get confused about her identity as she clutched a copy of the ‘Galactic Rebellion for Dummies’ firmly in her hands. Darth Vader arrived soon enough with his band of storm troopers and took the princess into custody.
The residents of the Big Apple were both shocked and amused by such interesting happenings on the subway. The scene was a straight lift from the blockbuster Star Wars and its creator George Lucas couldn’t have re created it any better. This was the handiwork of Improv Everywhere, a theater group which creates spoofs and insanely funny sketches. They have been providing much laughter since their inception in 2001.
“The sliding doors on a subway train along with its white walls seemed like a space ship to us,” the group wrote on its website. They went on to state that they decided to test the reaction of the New Yorkers by staging an appearance by the well loved characters of the immensely popular movie.
The reaction was not entirely unexpected. The passengers on the subway were amused and dissolved into peals of laughter. Mobile phones were whipped up and the event recorded by almost all the passengers.
Darth Vader proved to be a big hit with the New Yorkers. The people just went crazy at the sight of him but the actor playing the part managed to keep his cool. He was also the most photographed character on the subway.
Improv Everywhere is renowned for staging similar incidents thereby entertaining the people. Notable among them are the Food Court Musical, Frozen Grand Central and the No pants subway ride. The recent Star War subway event also proved to be a thoroughly enjoyable experience for one and all.
- 'Improv Everywhere' Entertains The Public With Star Wars Subway - Jul 15, 2010
- Now, speed-date at the speed of light - Star Wars style - Aug 17, 2010
- Darth Vader 'Dark Side' Diagnosis: Borderline Personality! - Jun 09, 2010
- Darth Vader Commercial Appeciated By Viewers, Max Page Praised - Feb 08, 2011
- Darth Vader's bizarrely made-over helmets up for grabs at auction - Jul 11, 2010
- Rare 'Star Wars' Darth Vader costume up for grabs - Oct 28, 2010
- Chile's 'Star Wars' school to teach kids martial arts - Mar 13, 2011
- Ewan McGregor still in love with Princess Leia from Star Wars - May 22, 2010
- New tactic to disarm superbugs - Aug 24, 2012
- 'Darth Vader' Robber Jamie C. Hernandez Arrested - Sep 20, 2010
- New York Subway No Pants Day Brings in Hundreds of Participants - Jan 10, 2011
- 'Star Wars' fans thrilled after seeing lost Return of the Jedi clip - Aug 16, 2010
- 'Darth Vader' revealed Star Wars sequel two years before its release - Nov 11, 2010
- Darth Vader actor David Prowse banned from attending 'Star Wars' events - Jul 17, 2010
- Super Bowl Winners: Packers & Mini Darth Vader Commercial - Feb 07, 2011
Tags: bystanders, commuters, darth vader, dummies, gina gomez, nerd, new york city subway, number 6, pranks, princess leia, rebellion, role play, spectacle, spectacular performance, star wars role, storm troopers, stunts, subway riders, subway system, utter amazement