Star Trek director denies Captain Kirk returnMay 1st, 2009 - 1:46 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, May 1 (ANI): Star Trek director has shot down reports claiming that William Shatner will return to the franchise, insisting his character of Captain Kirk is dead.
Director JJ Abrams said that bringing back Shatner might irk film fans who saw his character die.
“His character died in one of the (Star Trek) films and we wanted to be consistent,” Contactmusic quoted him as saying.
“Everyone says - the Trek fans - if you’re gonna do a Trek film, you need to be consistent. He died,” Abrams added.
Abrams also said he did offer Shatner a role in his new film, but explained it could only be a cameo.
“It was clear that he didn’t wanna just do a cameo, so to create a story which was in the movie, it would have been reworking everything (sic),” he said.
But Abrams insists he didn’t purposefully snub the original Kirk: “I love William Shatner.” (ANI)
- William Shatner not reprising 'Star Trek' role - Sep 24, 2010
- William Shatner not to be a part of 'Star Trek 2' - Jun 21, 2011
- William Shatner to turn 'Raw Nerve' interviewer - May 25, 2009
- 'Star Trek' sequel gets title? - Sep 11, 2012
- Abrams set to discuss Start Trek sequel with Shatner over lunch - Oct 21, 2009
- William Shatner slams reports of feud with new 'Star Trek' cast - Apr 27, 2009
- Patrick Stewart delighted with new Star Trek - Jun 15, 2009
- William Shatner may do a cameo in next 'Star Trek' instalment - Apr 01, 2009
- William Shatner believes aliens exist - Sep 08, 2010
- William Shatner a stock market billionaire? - Mar 30, 2011
- Star Trek: Shatner's Motorcycle for Sale - Apr 27, 2010
- 'Super 8' superb film (IANS Movie - Rating: ****) - Oct 14, 2011
- Matt Damon turned down Star Trek role - Apr 21, 2009
- William Shatner to get lifetime achievement award - Mar 05, 2010
- William Shatner thinks that Star Trek is the best science fiction movie of all time - Nov 17, 2011