‘Star Trek’ actor Sir Patrick Stewart will seek ‘assisted death’April 18th, 2011 - 1:44 pm ICT by ANI
London, April 18 (ANI): ‘Star Trek’ actor Sir Patrick Stewart has revealed his wish to be allowed an assisted death.
“I have the strong feeling that, should the time come for me, having had no role in my birth I would like there to be a choice I might make about how I die,” Sky News quoted the actor as telling Sunday Times.
He said that the choice to have an assisted death “should be a right”.
“I believe everybody possessed of a debilitating and incurable disease should be allowed to pick the hour of their death,” added Stewart, who was diagnosed with coronary heart disease five years ago.
It follows his decision to become a patron of Dignity in Dying, which campaigns for a change in the law.
The actor is one of several high-profile names who have expressed their support for the movement. (ANI)
- Kim Cattrall supports euthanasia - Aug 05, 2011
- Gordon Brown 'snubs' Sir Patrick Stewart's tips - May 06, 2010
- Sir Patrick Stewart dedicates knighthood to childhood schoolteacher - Jun 03, 2010
- Queen Dubs Sir Patrick Stewart AKA 'Xavier' or 'Picard' a Knight - Jun 03, 2010
- Grant wants assisted suicide to be made legal - Jun 05, 2011
- Sir Patrick Stewart Is The Latest Knight Of Britain - Jun 03, 2010
- Sir Patrick Stewart getting used to his knighthood - Feb 16, 2010
- Cop dies during a threesome, widow wins $3 million in compensation - Jun 12, 2012
- Patrick Stewart Knighted By Queen Elizabeth - Jun 03, 2010
- Euthanasia illegal in many countries - Mar 07, 2011
- Celebs condemn health minister's MSM comment - Jul 07, 2011
- Beer belly or muffin top double mortality risk in heart disease patients - May 03, 2011
- Sir Alex Ferguson joins celebrity campaign to educate people about 'lung cancer' - Nov 01, 2010
- Jude Law, Rachel Weisz win top theatre awards - Feb 15, 2010
- British court orders force-feeding for dying anorexic woman - Jun 16, 2012