Star power keeps Bollywood afloat, Zoya AkhtarMarch 16th, 2012 - 3:08 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, March 16 (IANS) Bollywood director Zoya Akhtar believes that star power keeps the Hindi film industry alive.”I think the star system works on a level. Apart from Hollywood, India and China no other film industry is surviving. We are surviving because we have our stars and our audience wants to watch our people. We would have been eaten up. Europe has been eaten up by Hollywood right now,” the 39-year-old said here Thursday while speaking at a session at FICCI-FRAMES.
The 13th edition of FICCI FRAMES began Wednesday and ends Friday.
Stressing further upon the importance of stars, Zoya said while the critics loved her first film “Luck By Chance”, the audience did not come to see it but “Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara” drew them in.
“The film (’Luck By Chance’) got me every possible nomination. I won the best debut, all the critics loved it and they loved me. They actually pushed the film, which they don’t really do. They wrote articles saying people should go and watch it. But people didn’t go and watch it. That’s where star power comes in. You have a Hrithik Roshan and a Katrina Kaif in your film and it equals bums on the seats,” said Zoya.
Her last film “Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara” was not a hit just with the audiences, but critics too and the road movie about friendship and bonding won best Filmfare award too.
- B-Town wants "Zindagi Na..." to win best film award - Jan 14, 2012
- B-Town wants "Zindagi Na..." to win best film award (Lead) - Jan 14, 2012
- No similarity between 'Zindagi Na...' and 'Dil Chahta Hai': Farhan - May 15, 2011
- Eros acquires rights to 'Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara', ' Game' - Nov 01, 2010
- Ranbir, Vidya declared best actors at 57th Filmfare awards (Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
- Ranbir, Vidya best actors at 57th Filmfare awards - Jan 30, 2012
- 'Zindagi Na...' sequel not necessary: Farhan Akhtar - Jun 11, 2012
- 'Zindagi Na Milegi...' earns Rs.108 crore in 10 days - Jul 27, 2011
- Bosco-Ceaser win National Award for 'Zindagi Na...' - Mar 07, 2012
- 'Urumi' wins best film at Madrid film fest - Jun 04, 2012
- Awards are important, says SRK - Jan 14, 2012
- Kalki believes in eating right, not gymming - Jan 09, 2012
- 'Sweetheart' Neil, 'darling' Sonam! (Movie Snippets) - Jul 07, 2011
- 'Zindagi Na...' triumphs at Filmfare awards (Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
- Farhan Akhtar thanks dad for dialogues - Jul 17, 2011
Tags: audience, audiences, bums, china, debut, dobara, ficci frames, filmfare award, friendship, hindi film industry, hollywood, hrithik roshan, India, katrina kaif, last film, mumbai, nomination, road movie, star power, star system