Springsteen urges fellow Americans to fight for civil rights for allNovember 14th, 2007 - 10:18 am ICT by admin
However he hopes that he will be remembered as one of those people who still believed in justice.
“Many parts of it (America) will be remembered with the same degree of shame as the Japanese internment camps are remembered - illegal wire tapping, rendition, the abuse of prisoners, cutting back our civil rights, no habeas corpus,” Contactmusic quoted him, as saying.
“I don’t think most people thought they’d ever see the country move far enough right to see those things happen here. And I don’t believe that those are things that strengthen us.
“The moral authority to stand up and say ‘We are Americans’ is invaluable. It’s been deeply damaged, and it’s going to take quite a while to repair that damage, if we can.
“All I want to do is to be one of those guys that says, ‘When that stuff was going down, I threw my hat in the ring and tried to stand on what I felt was the right side of history,’” he said. (ANI)
- Bruce Springsteen thanks the Asbury Park press - Mar 31, 2011
- Emergency a sad period in Indian history: Kuldip Nayar (June 25 marks 35th anniversary of Emergency) - Jun 25, 2010
- Lingaram Kodopi and Soni Sori: Chhattisgarh's prisoners of conscience (Special Report) - Aug 04, 2012
- Voice is mine, but tapes spliced: Amar Singh - May 12, 2011
- German man's plea to trace Indian mother dismissed - Aug 16, 2010
- Everything's OK in US-Russia relations: Medvedev - Jul 31, 2012
- Berlusconi blasts 'prosecution campaign' against him - Sep 18, 2011
- Banning IPL not the solution, says Maken - May 19, 2012
- Will review cases of all political prisoners: Mamata - May 20, 2011
- "Insaaf will be very entertaining, after all it's my show"-Rakhi Sawant - Aug 26, 2010
- Court declines Muslim man's plea for custody of son - Jun 17, 2011
- Terror suspects families cry foul over arrests - Aug 31, 2012
- Farrell's memory loss - Aug 17, 2012
- Voice in recording mine, but CD spliced: Amar Singh (Lead) - May 12, 2011
- Food for sex rampant in Sri Lankan camps, says British medic - Dec 20, 2009
Tags: civil rights, country move, fellow americans, habeas corpus, happen here, japanese internment camps, moral authority, one of those guys, prisoners, rendition, rolling stone magazine, springsteen, things happen, wire tapping