Spirituality, homosexuality, thriller on offer at box office (IANS Preview)October 25th, 2010 - 11:27 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 25 (IANS) A film based on the preachings of Shirdi Sai Baba, another on the controversial issue of homosexuality and a thriller too — movie buffs will have three distinctively different films in “Maalik Ek”, “Dunno Y… Na Jaane Kyun” and “Nakshatra” on offer this Friday.
“Maalik Ek” marks a comeback of sorts for actor Jackie Shroff, who dons the garb of Shirdi Sai Baba. The film is based on the saint’s preachings and philosophies.
The film will take audiences back to the era when Sai Baba was refused or was prohibited from various communities and villages surrounding Shirdi in Maharashtra as the villagers thought he was a thief.
The much-delayed, low-budget film is directed by Deepak Balraj Vij and produced by Kishori Shahane Vij under the banner of Om The Mantra Productions. The film also stars veteran actor Manoj Kumar, Divya Dutta and Rohini Hattangadi.
Jackie admits that this role has changed his outlook.
“When I was offered this role, I was apprehensive whether I would be able to do justice to it or not. It took six months for the director to convince me. But once I got into the character and wore Sai Baba’s clothes, everything looked easy,” Jackie told IANS.
“I didn’t prepare for it at all. I could automatically walk like him and even talk like him. This role has changed my soul and perception,” he said.
On the other hand, “Dunno Y…Na Jaane Kyun” deals with homosexuality. Directed by debutant director Sanjay Sharma, it tells the story of a serious relationship between two men. It stars Kapil Sharma and Yuvraj Parashar in lead roles.
The director has also roped in yesteryears actresses Zeenat Aman and Helen in key roles along with Rituparna Sengupta, Kabir Bedi, Tara Sharma and Asha Sachdev.
Sharma says his aim was to tell people that homosexuals are not abnormal.
“Through this film I wanted to bring out the relationship between these characters. How they feel, their emotions… My aim is not to make fun of them. It was a big challenge for me to deal with this subject. I’m happy that at least I gave it a shot,” said Sharma.
“I want to send a message through my film that homosexuals are also human beings. They are not abnormal. So people shouldn’t see them with a different perspective. Like we love, even they love. It’s very important to create this awareness,” Sharma added.
The film boasts of bold intimate scenes that attracted the attention of the censor board. According to recent reports, the board has cut a lovemaking scene featuring actors Yuvraj and Kapil, by about 60 percent. The film has been showcased at different festivals.
Another film that hits screens this Friday is Milind Soman-starrer “Nakshatra”. Directed by Mohan Savalkar, the film is a romantic thriller that deals with the complexities of life. It is a story that portrays different shades that paint a bond of love between two completely different people.
It is a story about a dreamer, whose dream is misled by destiny.
Apart from Milind, it also stars Anupam Kher and newcomers Shubh Mukherjee and Sabina Sheema.
- Maalik Ek, Nakshatra And Dunno Y… Na Jaane Kyun: Three Different Love Stories - Oct 26, 2010
- Maalik Ek Preview: Jackie Shroff Makes A Comeback On Big Screen - Oct 29, 2010
- Maalik Ek Review: Visit Shirdi Instead - Oct 30, 2010
- I wasn't doubtful while taking up 'Dunno Y...': Zeenat Aman - Oct 07, 2010
- India’s 1st Gay Film ‘Dunno Y, Na Jaane Kyun’ Starring Zeenat Aman, Music Launched!! - Oct 09, 2010
- Creating awareness about homosexuality through 'Dunno Y...' - Oct 10, 2010
- Homosexuals wrongly portrayed in films: Filmmaker Onir - Jan 12, 2011
- Dunno Y—Na Jaane Kyun: A Bold Film Set For Diwali Release - Oct 29, 2010
- 'Dunno Y...' pushed for Diwali release due to protests - Oct 28, 2010
- Shah Rukh, Sonam named worst actors at Golden Kela Awards - Mar 13, 2011
- Revealed: What Makes Dunno Y, Na Jaane Kyun, A Controversial Film? - Oct 22, 2010
- 'Dunno Y...' to be screened at iView film festival - Jun 15, 2010
- Dunno Y..Makers Invites Protesters To Watch The Film - Oct 29, 2010
- 'Dunno Y... Na Jaane Kyon' To Be Screened In Iview New York Film Festival - Jun 19, 2010
- 'Shirdi Sai' breath of fresh air (Telugu Movie Review) - Sep 06, 2012
Tags: asha sachdev, budget film, controversial issue, divya dutta, jackie shroff, kabir bedi, kapil sharma, low budget, movie buffs, nakshatra, parashar, preachings, rituparna sengupta, rohini hattangadi, sai baba, serious relationship, tara sharma, veteran actor, vij, zeenat aman