Spielberg’s new project is HarveyAugust 3rd, 2009 - 7:37 pm ICT by IBNS
Aug 3 (IBNS) Famous director Steven Spielberg’s next film will be an adaptation of the Mary Chase Pulitzer Prize-winning play Harvey.
Variety.com reported that the film will be a co-production between 20th Century Fox and DreamWorks. It will also be the first screenplay by the bestselling novelist Jonathan Tropper.
The story revolves aorund amiable eccentric, Elwood P. Dowd, and his friendship with a six and one-half foot tall invisible rabbit, and how it affects his family and community. The play won the Pulitzer Prize in 1944, and was also turned into the 1950 Universal film that starred Jimmy Stewart and Josephine Hull.
Spielberg will also produce the film with Don Gregory, with Elizabeth Gabler and Carla Hacken, who are overseeing for Fox 2000, which acquired the rights in 2008.
“I am very happy to be working again with my friend Tom Rothman who shepherded us through `Minority Report,’ and with Elizabeth and Carla, who I’m looking forward to collaborating with. DreamWorks has experienced a creative and profitable relationship with 20th Century Fox in the past, and I look forward to renewing that time together,” Spielberg said.
Rothman said: “Don Gregory entrusted us with these precious rights, Beth Gabler and Carla Hacken developed an exceptional screenplay and Jim and I had the easy part: Deciding to go first, before anyone else, to a filmmaker who combines the mastery of craft, tone, wit and insight that `Harvey’ embodies. Steven Spielberg is film’s greatest humanist. And we feel blessed as Elwood himself to be collaborating with him, Stacey, and everyone at DreamWorks.”
- Steven Spielberg's next project is big-screen adaptation of 'Harvey' - Aug 03, 2009
- Hanks is a Natural For "Harvey" Remake - Aug 04, 2009
- Spielberg ready to recreate invisible rabbit "Harvey" with new funding from India - Aug 20, 2009
- Reliance funds Spielberg's invisible rabbit "Harvey" - Aug 20, 2009
- Hemsworth in Spielberg's next - Jul 21, 2012
- DreamWorks Animation in five-year deal with 20th Century Fox - Aug 21, 2012
- Daniel Day-Lewis to play Lincoln - Nov 22, 2010
- Steven Spielberg quits 'Harvey' remake project - Dec 05, 2009
- Anil Ambani walks Oscar red carpet, his 'The Help' gets statuette (With Images) - Feb 27, 2012
- Reliance DreamWorks films get 11 Oscar nominations - Jan 25, 2012
- Spielberg to direct 'Robopocalypse' - Oct 24, 2010
- Daniel Day-Lewis to play Abraham Lincoln in Spielberg film - Nov 20, 2010
- Reliance DreamWorks announces first three films - Sep 05, 2009
- 'War Horse' to release in India Feb 10 - Jan 13, 2012
- Ronald Harwood to script Martin Luther biopic for Dreamworks - Jan 20, 2010
Tags: 20th century fox, bestselling novelist, co production, director steven spielberg, don gregory, dreamworks, elwood p dowd, friend tom, gabler, hacken, ibns, jimmy stewart, josephine hull, mary chase, precious rights, profitable relationship, pulitzer prize, steven spielberg, tom rothman, universal film