Spielberg to make biopic on Martin Luther KingMay 20th, 2009 - 1:08 am ICT by IANS
London, May 19 (IANS) Legendary filmmaker Steven Spielberg is set to fulfill his longtime dream of bringing the life of legendary civil rights activist Martin Luther King to the big screen as he has been granted permission to make a biopic on him.
King, who was assassinated in 1968 in Memphis, Tennessee at the age of 39, was a leading campaigner for equality for African-American citizens.
Spielberg’s production company DreamWorks has won a long running battle to acquire the rights to the late activist’s intellectual property, reports contactmusic.com.
The director will now be able to use King’s speeches, books and famous works that were copyrighted during his life.
The project is the first film to be authorised by King’s estate and Spielberg is delighted he will finally be able to bring the story to cinema audiences.
“We are all honoured that the King Estate is giving us the opportunity to tell the story of these defining, historic events. It is our hope that the creative power of film and the impact of Dr. King’s life can combine to present a story of undeniable power that we can all be proud of,” said Spielberg.
- Ronald Harwood to script Martin Luther biopic for Dreamworks - Jan 20, 2010
- Martin Luther King Jr. biopic in the pipeline - May 19, 2009
- Spielberg to make biopic on racer James Hunt - Nov 15, 2010
- Exhibition chronicles Gandhi-King ties - Feb 02, 2012
- Spielberg to direct 'Robopocalypse' - Oct 24, 2010
- Daniel Day-Lewis to play Abraham Lincoln in Spielberg film - Nov 20, 2010
- Today is the 43rd death anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr. - Apr 04, 2011
- Daniel Day-Lewis to play Lincoln - Nov 22, 2010
- Steven Spielberg 'buys rights to WikiLeaks book' - Mar 03, 2011
- Bollywood shining with a little help from Hollywood - Aug 18, 2009
- Kate Middleton cried watching 'War Horse' - Feb 01, 2012
- Historic Bollywood-Hollywood pact signals India's emergence in world cinema - Aug 18, 2009
- Hemsworth in Spielberg's next - Jul 21, 2012
- Spielberg ready to recreate invisible rabbit "Harvey" with new funding from India - Aug 20, 2009
- Spielberg to make movie on Wikileaks - Mar 03, 2011
Tags: african american citizens, authorised, biopic, campaigner, cinema audiences, civil rights, company dreamworks, creative power, dr king, dreamworks, equality, intellectual property reports, legendary filmmaker, london, longtime dream, martin luther king, memphis tennessee, speeches, steven spielberg, undeniable power