Spielberg doesn’t like overuse of special effectsJuly 11th, 2010 - 2:36 am ICT by IANS
London, July 11 (IANS) Hollywood filmmaker Steven Spielberg doesn’t believe directors should use special effects unless it is relevant to the story of a film.
The “Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull” director admits it is up to individual filmmakers how to use new technology in movies, but he prefers a simpler approach, reports contactmusic.com.
“There are so many tools we have now in the tool shed and it’s just a matter of individual choice of how we use these tools,” said Speilberg.
“I frankly think that special effects are becoming too special. There are too many special effects in all these movies today. It means that the movie starts on a special effect, ends on a bigger special effect and the middle is the same special effect,” he added.
However, the three-time Oscar winner admits he still has an admiration for James Cameron’s “Avatar”, despite much of the movie using performance capture technology.
“‘Avatar’ is the perfect example of everything in service of the story. Every single moment of life that Jim and the actors breathed into that movie was story-centric,” he said.
- Steven Spielberg blasts movies packed with special effects - Jul 17, 2010
- 9/11 changed a lot for me: Steven Spielberg - Jan 14, 2012
- Moviemaking about ideas, not equipment: James Cameron (Interview) - Jan 17, 2011
- 'I Am Number Four' - the comfort of cliches (IANS Movie Review) - Feb 18, 2011
- Indiana Jones 'to tackle Bermuda Triangle in fifth film' - Jun 10, 2010
- As VFX fights for foothold, in steps Bollywood Badshah - Jun 06, 2011
- 'The Adventures of Tintin' - a Spiel-bugging experiment (IANS Movie Review - Rating: ** 1/2) - Nov 10, 2011
- Sean Connery to return as Henry Jones in 'Indiana Jones' movie - Sep 19, 2009
- 3D movies waste of money: James McAvoy - Jun 18, 2011
- Actor Shia LaBeouf Disparages 'Indiana Jones' Sequel - May 19, 2010
- Harrison Ford to reprise last Indiana Jones role at 70 - Aug 23, 2010
- Steven Spielberg 'buys rights to WikiLeaks book' - Mar 03, 2011
- Harrison Ford to act in fifth 'Indiana Jones' movie? - Sep 15, 2009
- Reliance Mediaworks' image-processing technique bags Oscar - Jan 09, 2012
- 'Avatar 2' not delayed as no release date fixed: Producer - Mar 26, 2012
Tags: actors, admiration, avatar, capture technology, crystal skull, filmmakers, hollywood, hollywood filmmaker, hv, indiana jones, individual choice, james cameron, london, new technology, single moment, special effects, steven spielberg, time oscar winner