‘Spider-Man’ musical director Taymor to be replaced by McKinleyMarch 11th, 2011 - 2:19 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Mar 11 (ANI): Problem-plagued musical ‘Spider-Man: Turn off the Dark’ will now be directed by Philip William McKinley after the show’s director, Julie Taymor, quit.
Lead producers Michael Cohl and Jeremiah Harris announced that McKinley, who directed musical ‘The Boy from Oz’ starring Hugh Jackman, will be taking over as the new director.
“Phil is hugely experienced with productions of this scale and is exactly what ‘Spider-Man: Turn off the Dark’ needs right now,” the New York Daily News quoted them as saying in a joint statement.
The creative team shake-up came a day after it was reported that Taymor was giving up control of the show she co-wrote and worked for years to bring to Broadway.
The producers have, however, insisted Taymor has not been banished from the production, but her role will be greatly diminished.
“Julie’s previous commitments mean that past March 15, she cannot work the 24/7 necessary to make the changes in the production in order to be ready for our opening,” Cohl and Harris said.
“We cannot exaggerate how technically difficult it is to make such changes to a show of this complexity, so it’s with great pride that we announce that Phil McKinley is joining the creative team,” they both stated.
They also confirmed the show’s scheduled opening night will be pushed back from Tuesday to early summer, the sixth time it’s been delayed.
The producers also said playwright Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, who has written ‘Spider-Man’ comic books, has been hired to help rewrite the book. (ANI)
- Spider-Man musical goes on a 3-week hiatus - Apr 19, 2011
- Union sues Spider-Man on behalf of Julie Taymor - Jun 10, 2011
- 'Spider-Man' Broadway rescheduled yet again - Jan 14, 2011
- 'American Psycho' to be made into Broadway musical - Dec 07, 2010
- Troubled Spiderman musical premiere delayed by one month - Jan 14, 2011
- It was a tough decision to leave 'Spider-Man' $65 million musical: Mendoza - Jan 01, 2011
- Bono's Spider-Man musical finally hits Broadway - Apr 08, 2010
- Director of Spider-Man musical quits over show's music - Mar 10, 2011
- Actor in the Broadway production of 'Spiderman' injured - Dec 05, 2010
- Julie Taymor Says No To ‘Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark’ Chat - Dec 31, 2010
- 'Batman Live' Stage Play In Development - Apr 27, 2010
- 'Spider Man' musical to make Broadway debut in December - Aug 12, 2010
- Spider-Man stunt actor walking again after 30ft fall - Dec 27, 2010
- 'Spider-Man' Finally Previews On Broadway - Nov 29, 2010
- 'Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark' set to hit Broadway in November - Aug 11, 2010
Tags: aguirre, boy from oz, broadway the producers, comic books, commitments, creative team, hugh jackman, jeremiah, mckinley new york, michael cohl, musical director, new york daily news, phil mckinley, philip william, playwright, sacasa, sixth time, spider man, william mckinley, york daily news