‘Spider-Man’ Finally Previews On BroadwayNovember 29th, 2010 - 7:13 pm ICT by GD
By Gina Gomez
New York, Nov 29, (THAINDIAN NEWS) After months of speculation and skyrocketing anticipation, the curtains in the Broadway version of ‘Spiderman’ came off on Sunday when its first preview performance was held at the New York’s Foxwoods Theatre. With reports claiming that a whopping $65 million being spent on the Broadway musical version “Spiderman: Turn Off the Dark,” the extensive hype and excitement among the theater-goers was not difficult to understand. The huge anticipation that Broadway edition of ‘Spider-Man’ has been successful in creating could be easily comprehended from the fact that thousands of paying guests turned for the musical on Sunday evening along with a huge array of journalists.
Despite the huge turnout and the ardent efforts of the producers to ensure that the preview performance of “Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark” takes place without any glitches, last night edition of the musical could hardly be called picture perfect. After the show began, it had be stopped for about five minutes in between the acts to take care of few technical troubles. While large number of audiences felt that the Act I ended rather prematurely, the following Act had to be at the receiving end of a catcall while a midperformance pause was on.
“Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark” has been successful in seizing huge media attention over the years mostly for the huge amount of money that has gone into it as well as the host of celebrities associated with its making. U2’s Bono and the Edge came together to create the musical about nine years ago while later Tony Award winning director Julie Taymor was signed on.
- "Spider-Man" Debuts On Broadway But Not Without Glitches - Nov 30, 2010
- Reeve Carney, Jennifer Damiano Upbeat After "Spider-Man" Broadway Musical Performance - Nov 29, 2010
- Director of Spider-Man musical quits over show's music - Mar 10, 2011
- 'Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark' set to hit Broadway in November - Aug 11, 2010
- U2 thrill fans by performing Spiderman song - Oct 06, 2010
- ‘SpiderMan Turn Off The Dark’ Preview: A Technological Tragedy! - Nov 30, 2010
- 'Spider Man' musical to make Broadway debut in December - Aug 12, 2010
- 'Spider-Man' On Broadway Fails To Live Up To Audience Expectations - Nov 30, 2010
- Lead actress leaves troubled 'Spider-Man' musical - Dec 29, 2010
- 4th actor hurt during 'Spider-Man' production - Dec 21, 2010
- Spider-Man wasn't in any danger: Show's spokesperson - Feb 12, 2011
- 'Spider-Man' musical director Taymor to be replaced by McKinley - Mar 11, 2011
- It was a tough decision to leave 'Spider-Man' $65 million musical: Mendoza - Jan 01, 2011
- More trouble surfaces in 'Spider-Man' musical - Dec 18, 2010
- Julie Taymor Says No To ‘Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark’ Chat - Dec 31, 2010
Tags: amount of money, anticipation, broadway musical version, broadway version, catcall, curtains, director julie taymor, five minutes, foxwoods theatre, gina gomez, glitches, media attention, nine years, preview performance, spider man, sunday evening, technical troubles, theater goers, tony award, u2