‘Speedy Singh’, a treat for bhangra, hip hop lovers (IANS Music Review)September 4th, 2011 - 10:09 am ICT by IANS
Film: “Speedy Singh”; Music Directors: Sandeep Chowta, RDB, Jassi Sidhu and Rishi Rich Productions; Singers: Veronica, H-Dhami, Jassi Sidhu, RDB, J-Hind, Ludacris, Manjit, Nav, Sarb and Nindy Kaur; Rating: ** 1/2
A total Punjabi soundtrack is not something you see very often, but Akshay Kumar’s production venture “Speedy Singh” is an album that is meant for the lovers of bhangra, which has been mixed with hip hop. Composed by Sandeep Chowta, RDB, Jassi Sidhu and Rishi Rich Productions, the songs will make you tap your feet.
The album begins with Veronica and H-Dhami collaborating to sing the song “Ne aaja ve”, which has a romantic tilt. A club number, this Punjabi-influenced track is moderately paced. While Veronica hums the English lyrics, H-Dhami has added the Punjabi flavour.
Up next is “Shera di khom” that is a new version of the title track of 2008 film “Singh Is Kinng”. The song that has Ludacris, RDB, Manjit, Nav, Sarb and Nindy Kaur behind the mike is already being liked by listeners. A fusion of hip hop and Punjabi music, the track talks about the laurels of the Punjabi community.
“Sansar” makes for an interesting composition. It is a racy track crooned by RDB and J-Hind. The song, once again a bhangra-cum-hip hop rendition, manages to stand tall among other tracks and holds the attention of the listener.
The album also has a wedding number - “Veer da viha”. An out and out Punjabi track with no western influence unlike other songs in the album, it is sung by Jassi Sidhu. The song is actually a slightly different version of the song “Veerji Vehon Chaleya” from RDB’s album “Aawan Ni Aawan”. In this version, the lyrics have been altered a bit.
Finally the album sums up with a traditional Punjabi song “Rail gaddi”. This version has been sung by Jassi Sidhu and is quite similar to the original song but with a few more beats and modified lyrics.
On the whole, the album is a Punjabi music lover’s delight. While most songs are suitable for a DJ’s console, they might get more value with visuals.
(Ruchika Kher can be contacted at email@example.com)
- Ludacris rhymes even in his talk: Akshay Kumar - Sep 22, 2011
- RDB pays tribute to Kuly with special song - Jun 30, 2012
- Rustic Punjabi flavour dominates 'Yamla Pagla Deewana' music (IANS Music Review) - Dec 16, 2010
- RDB's Kuly died of brain tumour - May 24, 2012
- Indian idioms for free-style western performances? The debate grows (Lifestyle Feature) (With Images) - Jun 29, 2012
- US jazz band sways to Indian beats - Oct 26, 2011
- 'From Sydney with Love' - a treat for music lovers (IANS music review) - Jul 11, 2012
- Hip-hop artist Nate Dogg dies at 41 - Mar 17, 2011
- 'Patiala House' Music Is Not Different But Entertaining - Jan 17, 2011
- 'De Dana Dan' not among Pritam's best works (IANS Music Review) - Nov 08, 2009
- 'Student of the Year' songs peppy, likeable (IANS Music Review) - Sep 10, 2012
- 'Dum Maaro Dum' music offers variety (IANS Music Review) - Mar 21, 2011
- 'Cocktail' soundtrack youthful, delectable mix of sounds (IANS music review) - Jun 20, 2012
- Balle balle! Punjabi music is flavour of Bollywood - Mar 09, 2011
- It's Atif Aslam all the way in 'Prince' music (IANS Music Review) - Feb 28, 2010
Tags: aaja, akshay kumar, h dhami, hip hop lovers, jassi sidhu, khom, laurels, ludacris, music directors, music lover, music review, original song, punjabi community, punjabi music, punjabi song, rdb, sansar, sarb, shera, western influence