Spanish singer to perform at laundromatsOctober 18th, 2011 - 12:02 pm ICT by IANS
Miami, Oct 18 (IANS/EFE) Spanish singer Shaila Durcal will perform in US laundromats to promote a college scholarship fund.
Accompanied by mariachis, the singer will visit laundromats in Miami and Los Angeles to bring information about the Hispanic Scholarship Fund’s Gracias Mama programme, and also to bring a bit of happiness to local mothers.
“I think that it’s a rather important thing for the people to feel like a family. We’re here (in the laundromats along with) the moms, who do so much work every day,” Durcal told EFE in Miami.
The HSF initiative is accepting applications for the scholarships from Oct 8 through Jan 17, 2012.
Participants will have to write a 500-word essay describing the role their mother or maternal figure has had in their education.
HSF will select five students from among the applicants and will award each a $12,000 scholarship.
“What mother doesn’t want to see her child triumph and have a career. And for those who get one of those scholarships, the mom will receive $500 for a spa,” the artist mentioned.
For the daughter of late singer Rocio Durcal, this opportunity allows her to recall the experiences she had with her mother, who died of cancer in 2006.
“The mothers are, in the final reckoning, those who are behind this. I have my mother to thank for everything because if not for her, I would not be here,” said Shaila, who began her musical career as a backup singer for Rocio.
- Musician blends mariachi with country - Jul 25, 2012
- Venezuelan composer doesn't like vulgarity in music - Nov 24, 2011
- School principal suspended for cross-dressing - Oct 01, 2011
- Mexican singer to star in TV reality show - Aug 29, 2012
- Actress Lupe Ontiveros dies - Jul 28, 2012
- Charlie Zaa makes musical comeback - Mar 24, 2012
- Banderas, Hayek present `Puss in Boots' on cruise ship - Oct 18, 2011
- Puerto Rican singer, Spanish model have their first child - Dec 22, 2011
- Deprived US youths win scholarship through basketball - Jun 26, 2011
- Nayer grateful to Pitbull for career boost - May 04, 2012
- Keeping immigrant families together is critical: Michelle - Jul 17, 2012
- Shakira sends her dad a `Happy Birthday' video - Sep 07, 2012
- Gloria Trevi admits to stage fright - Feb 18, 2012
- Lissette Alvarez presents her new album - May 16, 2012
- Oscar Isaac, chameleon-like Latino triumphs in Hollywood - Aug 08, 2012
Tags: backup singer, bit of happiness, cancer, college scholarship fund, experiences, final reckoning, gracias mama, hispanic scholarship fund, initiative, maternal figure, mom, moms, musical career, participants, rocio durcal, scholarships, spa, spanish singer, triumph, word essay