South Park creators make a Mormon musicalMarch 23rd, 2011 - 12:59 am ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Los Angeles, Mar 22 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The creators of the controversial show, “South Park”, has created a stir with their Broadway musical based on the religion of the Mormon.
The musical satirizes “The Book of Mormon”. The history of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is cruelly joked with. Some of the rituals of the church like baptism are also mocked. That seems not to bother Trey Parker and Matt Stone who created the show.
During an interview Parker said that, “We didn’t sit down and say, ‘All right, let’s bash Mormons, how should we do it? Let’s spend seven years of our lives writing a Broadway musical so that we can rip on Mormons. We really wanted to just make a very traditional, classic musical.”
South Park is arguably the most controversial children program in the United States. The show has seen its fair share of cancellations, death threats to the creators and religious controversies. Stone warns that if you are not comfortable watching an episode of South Park, then you probably don’t have to go to the theater to watch the show. He however assured that the show is not “rawest or filthiest” that they have made.
- South Park creators score a hit on Broadway - Mar 28, 2011
- 'South Park' musical - Apr 15, 2010
- 'South Park' Creators Compose Broadway Musical Focusing On Mormons - Apr 15, 2010
- South Park creators Trey Parker & Matt Stone have written a Broadway musical - Apr 15, 2010
- Sarah McLachlan mocked in South Park - May 27, 2011
- South Park spoof on royal wedding - May 11, 2011
- South Park do their own take on 'Asperger's syndrome' - Oct 06, 2011
- Comedy Central alters potentially offensive South Park episode featuring Prophet Mohammed - Apr 28, 2010
- Snooki & Jersey Takes South Park, Who Asks Al Qaeda for Help? - Oct 15, 2010
- Church investigates posthumous baptism of Obama's mother - May 06, 2009
- South Park spoofs the Penn state situation - Nov 18, 2011
- South Park Episode Censored Due To Muslim Threats - Apr 22, 2010
- Radical U.S. Muslim Group Angered By Depiction Of Prophet Mohammad In "South Park" - Apr 22, 2010
- Comedy Central censors 'South Park' episode after Muslim site's threats - Apr 23, 2010
- South Park apologizes for stealing Inception's dialogue - Oct 26, 2010
Tags: baptism, book of mormon, cancellations, church of jesus, church of jesus christ, church of jesus christ of latter day, church of jesus christ of latter day saints, death threats, fair share, history of the church, jesus christ of latter day, jesus christ of latter day saints, latter day saints, religious controversies, rituals, seven years, south park, south park creators, trey parker, trey parker and matt stone