Sophia Stewart wins the Matrix copyright infringement caseNovember 11th, 2009 - 8:52 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
New York, Nov 11 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Sophia Stewart an African American who claimed to be the author of The Matrix will finally receive her just due from the copyright infringement of her original work, as the copyright case is finally settled in court.
A six-year dispute has ended which involved Sophia Stewart, the Wachowski Brothers, Joel Silver and Warner Brothers. Sophia Stewart’s allegations, involving copyright infringement and racketeering, were well received and completely acknowledged by the Central District of California, where the Judge Margaret Morrow was presiding.
Sophie Stewart had filed her copyright infringement case 10 years ago, in 1999, after viewing the acclaimed movie Matrix, which she felt had been based on her manuscript, ‘The Third Eye,’ copyrighted in 1981. In the mid-eighties Stewart had submitted her manuscript to an advertisement placed by the Wachowski Brothers, requesting new sci-fi works, which could be later made into a movie.
According to court documentation, “an FBI investigation discovered that more than thirty minutes had been edited from the original film, in an attempt to avoid penalties for copyright infringement. The investigation also stated that ‘credible witnesses employed at Warner Brothers came forward, claiming that the executives and lawyers had full knowledge that the work in question did not belong to the Wachowski Brothers.’ These witnesses claimed to have seen Stewart’s original work and that it had been ‘often used during preparation of the motion pictures.’ The defendants tried, on several occasions, to have Stewart’s case dismissed, without success”.
Sophia Stewart’s released a press statement which said: ‘The Matrix & Terminator movie franchises have made world history and have ultimately changed the way people view movies and how Hollywood does business, yet the real truth about the creator and creation of these films continue to elude the masses because the hidden secret of the matter is that these films were created and written by a Black woman…a Black woman named Sophia Stewart. But Hollywood does not want you to know this fact simply because it would change history. Also it would encourage our Black children to realize a dream and that is…nothing is impossible for them to achieve!’
- Matrix director Larry Wachowski is now a she - Jul 30, 2012
- Will Smith: Will He Be The Next Robin Hood? - Dec 08, 2010
- Janet Jackson wants to "kick butt" after missing 'The Matrix' role - Feb 03, 2010
- Is Keanu Reeves Really Returning With Matrix 4 And 5? - Jan 24, 2011
- Lawsuit filed claiming copyright breach by Cherl Cole - Mar 24, 2011
- Hollywood sues Indian American for selling films online - Apr 05, 2011
- 'Matrix' fourth and fifth to be in 3D: Keanu Reeves - Jan 25, 2011
- Highlights of The Copyright (Amendment) Bill 2010 (To go with 'Changes to copyright act pit musicians against producers') - Feb 21, 2011
- Highlights of the Copyright (Amendment) Bill, 2010 (To go with Music creators welcome copyright amendment, industry unhappy) - May 22, 2012
- Court declines to stay release of 'Chalo Dilli' - Apr 27, 2011
- J K Rowling embroiled in 'Harry Potter' plagiarism row - Oct 15, 2010
- Haven't done anything wrong in 'Don 2': Ritesh Sidhwani - Nov 16, 2011
- Bhandarkar amused over 'Fashion' copyright case (Movie Snippets) - Apr 13, 2012
- Kristen Stewart may star in 'Akira' - Nov 17, 2011
- Shah Rukh returns in villainous avatar in 'Don 2' (IANS Preview) - Dec 20, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,