Sony to co-finance, distribute ‘James Bond’April 14th, 2011 - 2:15 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 14 (IANS) Sony Pictures Entertainment has partnered with MGM to co-finance and distribute the 23rd “James Bond” movie, which will release Nov 9, 2012.
Sony will release the film throughout the world except for select international territories, where MGM will directly oversee distribution. The two studios will also explore co-financing opportunities on future motion pictures for the next five years as part of the deal, said a press statement.
“Sony Pictures is the ideal studio partner for us as MGM re-enters the filmmaking business. We have longstanding relationships with Michael and Amy and look forward to what promises to be a prosperous future together,” said MGM co-chairmen and chief executive officers Gary Barber and Roger Birnbaum.
In recent years, MGM and Sony have collaborated directly and indirectly on films like “Casino Royale”, “Quantum of Solace”, “21″, “Yours, Mine and Ours”, “The Pink Panther”, and the forthcoming Kevin James comedy “Zookeeper”.
“In addition to working together on Bond, this deal expands our relationship with MGM as we explore co-financing opportunities on other high-profile projects,” said Michael Lynton, chairman and CEO, Sony Pictures.
“Gary and Roger are incredibly thoughtful and experienced leaders who are outstanding creative executives and respected moviemakers. While we are excited to be back in the Bond business, we also look forward to future collaborations and I am confident that this agreement will be long-term, lucrative, and beneficial to both studios,” added Sony Pictures co-chairman Amy Pascal.
- New Bond Movie Likely To Start With Daniel Craig - Aug 13, 2010
- Craig to return to screens as James Bond with MGM close to sealing deal - Aug 13, 2010
- Sony Pictures to release the next James Bond movie - Apr 15, 2011
- 'Spider-Man 4' to hit screens 2012 with new cast, director (Lead, Changing Dateline) - Jan 12, 2010
- Reliance-ADAG among 10 suitors for MGM: Wall Street Journal - Jan 23, 2010
- James Bond Movie Cancelled Owing To Production Issues - Jul 07, 2010
- James Bond's future hangs in the air - Jan 03, 2010
- 'James Bond' film set to resume production - Nov 07, 2010
- Michael Jackson's "This Is It" in theatres Oct 30 - Aug 12, 2009
- Filming of 'James Bond 23' Movie Canceled Due To MGM Bankruptcy - Jul 07, 2010
- Oct 5 to be celebrated as Global James Bond Day (With Image) - Aug 30, 2012
- New Bond movie filming cancelled indefinitely - Apr 20, 2010
- 'Bond 23' suspended indefinitely! - Apr 21, 2010
- Sahara confirms MGM rescue bid - Sep 21, 2010
- New James Bond film to release next year - Jan 12, 2011
Tags: bond business, casino royale, chairmen, chief executive officers, co chairman, creative executives, filmmaking business, gary barber, international territories, kevin james, longstanding relationships, michael lynton, moviemakers, next five years, pink panther, profile projects, roger birnbaum, sony pictures entertainment, studio partner, zookeeper