Songwriting days over for Jerry HermanJune 8th, 2009 - 8:58 pm ICT by GD
Lyricist Jerry Herman said in a press conference that he would be giving up his song writing now. The lyricist won the 2009 Tony Award for Lifetime Achievement in the Theatre. The retirement announcement was made in the Tony Award’s press meet.
The Tony Award was aired on Sunday night on CBS network. Pixar/Disney’s character, “Wall- E” was present to pay tribute to the composer. Clips from the documentary “Jerry Herman: Words and Music” produced by Newtown resident Amber Edwards were shown. The ones which showed Angela Lansbury in “Mame” were very entertaining.
77 year old Herman said that his performing days are over when asked if he would perform one his favourite compositions, “I’ll be here tomorrow” from The Grand Tour. Post receiving the lifetime honor, Herman said that he was “enjoying the ultimate moment” of his life. “I will hold this moment fast because the best of times is definitely now, is now, is now.”
When asked about the reason of his plan of giving up song writing, Herman said that one should know when to quit. His time is now. “I think my style of musical has come and was very, very good to me, but it is gone now. I think it’s better to know when to leave than to end up with two or three shows that didn’t make it. I left at my height.”
Jerry Herman had won the Tony Awards for his compositions to “Hello, Dolly!” and “La Cage aux Folles”. He was also nominated for “Mame”, “The Grand Tour” and “Milk and Honey”. The composer admits that this feels even more exhilarating than all those wins.
- Never thought 'Behti hawa..' will fetch me national award: Kirkire - Sep 15, 2010
- English Actors Win It Big At The Tony Awards - Jun 14, 2010
- A.R Rahman Nominated For The 83rd Annual Academy Awards Twice - Jan 26, 2011
- Prasoon Joshi turns composer for 'Aarakshan' - Jun 09, 2011
- The Tony Awards 2010 Nominations Are In And Listed Here! - May 04, 2010
- Lyricists on song: Bollywood's unsung wordsmiths (First of a series by IANS on Bollywood's behind-the-scenes people) - Mar 23, 2011
- 'I AM' music strikes a chord with listeners (IANS Music Review) - Apr 18, 2011
- Translating my works for orchestra was enriching: A.R. Rahman (Interview) - Jan 20, 2012
- Prasoon favours meaningful songs over brash lyrics - Jan 16, 2012
- Music creators welcome copyright amendment, industry unhappy - May 22, 2012
- 'Dilli' from 'No One Killed Jessica' is a winner (IANS Music Review) - Dec 05, 2010
- 'Mukhtasar' was originally for my album: Wajid - May 21, 2012
- Brit's dominate 2009 Tony Awards winners list - Jun 08, 2009
- Rahman defends 'Hosanna' against objection - Jan 20, 2012
- Oprah Winfrey, Paul McCartney Honored At The Grand Event Of Kennedy Center Honors 2010 - Dec 07, 2010
Tags: amber, angela lansbury, cbs, cbs network, compositions, documentary, edwards, hello dolly, jerry herman, lifetime achievement, lifetime honor, lyricist, mame, milk and honey, pixar, pixar disney, retirement announcement, tony award, tony awards, words and music