Songwriter Jerry Ragovoy diesJuly 18th, 2011 - 6:56 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Manhattan, July 18 (THAINDIAN NEWS) One the best known soul songwriters, Jerry Ragovoy has died at the age of 80. Jerry is best known for his works in the 60s which included Rolling Stone’s “Time Is on My Side” and Janis Joplin’s “Piece of My Heart,” “Cry Baby” and “Try (Just a Little Bit Harder).”
Jerry’s widow, Beverly Matson Ragovoy told reporters that her husband passed away in Manhattan on Wednesday after suffering from complications from a stroke.
Born on the 4th of September 1930 in Philadelphia, Jerry learned how to play the piano all by himself. His father was an optometrist but Jerry at the early age of his life made music part of his life.
Though Jerry ended up writing several songs, he actually started his career as song buyer. He worked at Tregoobs and in 1953 he teamed up with the manager of the store Herb Slotkin to record “My Girl Awaits Me,” for the local group Castelles. The album ended up selling 100,000 pieces.
His desire to become a Broadway songwriter inspired Jerry to move to New York in 1962. At a point in his career, Jerry was hired by Chancellor Records.
He is survived by his wife, sister, two daughters and a granddaughter.
- Child piano playing prodigy sets new Guinness record - Jul 26, 2012
- Amy Adams to Star as Janis Joplin in Upcoming Movie - Jul 20, 2010
- East meets West in novel music initiative - Nov 24, 2011
- Amy Adams to play the lead in a Janis Joplic biopic - Jul 17, 2010
- Patti Smith Wins National Book Award for Robert Mapplethorpe Story 'Just Kids' - Nov 19, 2010
- 'James Bond Theme' composer John Barry dies at age 77 - Feb 01, 2011
- Jon Secada calls himself a `workingman of music' - Feb 15, 2012
- Unreleased Song Performed By Chris Martin - Sep 03, 2010
- American Idol: Crystal Bowersox Rocks 'Me and Bobby McGee' - Mar 24, 2010
- Previously unknown Mozart piece performed in Austria - Mar 24, 2012
- Amy Adams to play late rocker Janis Joplin in biopic - Oct 02, 2010
- Lissette Alvarez presents her new album - May 16, 2012
- Scottish Singer And Songwriter Gerry Rafferty Dies At 63 - Jan 05, 2011
- 'Angel' Amy Winehouse cremated - Jul 27, 2011
- Ruben Blades brings salsa show to Spanish capital - Jul 14, 2011
Tags: 60s, broadway songwriter, chancellor records, cry baby, granddaughter, heart cry, how to play the piano, janis joplin, jerry ragovoy, little bit, local group, manhattan, matson, optometrist, piece of my heart, rolling stone, songwriters, stroke, time is on my side, two daughters