Sonam or Vidya can reprise my ‘Pyaasa’ role: Waheeda RehmanJanuary 12th, 2011 - 3:04 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Jan 12 (IANS) The veteran actress and the heroine of the 1957 classic “Pyaasa” Waheeda Rehman feels that certain films should be kept from remake. If, however, the film is re-made, Sonam Kapoor or Vidya Balan would fit best for her character, she says.Reacting to actor Aamir Khan’s wish to remake “Pyaasa”, Rehman said, “It shouldn’t be made. I don’t have right to stop people. If it’s made, then my role should be done either by Sonam Kapoor or Vidya Balan.”
Remade version of certain classics lose the original drama and thus its impact, Rehman told reporters at Sa Re Ga Ma office here Tuesday night where she was honoured with the release of an album ‘Sitare Zameen Par’, comprising her best 40 songs.
“Classics shouldn’t be remade because if you make the remake of such films, comparisons are inevitable. The new version might be better, but the impact of the original version is difficult to replace from the mind of artistes and audience of our generations,” she said.
“Some films look better in black and white only. The coloured version can’t retain the same drama or impact of many black and white films made in our time. If ‘Kaagaz Ke Phool’ is remade in colour, it would be a disaster. It goes same for films like ‘Pyaasa’, ‘Sahib Bibi Aur Ghulam’ or Nutan’s ‘Sujata’,” she added.
Most of the songs in the album are of her choice, said the 74-year-old actress.
“Before compiling this album I was asked about my favourites, so I gave my list of choices, others they added of their own.”
Asked if she still relishes the memories of shooting her favourite songs, she said, “Not all. But there are a few songs which take me back to those days when I had shot for the songs. Like ‘Jane Kya Tune Kahi, Jaane Kya Maine Suni’ from the film ‘Pyaasa’ is one of my favourite songs and with that I had got huge popularity.”
“The lyrics, music and picturisation were fantastic. Even ‘Waqt Ne Kiya’ was excellently picturised.”
Rehman being one of the finest dancers of her time doesn’t find much varied choreography in today’s films.
“Due respect to the artistes and the choreographer, because it’s today’s trend, there are more item numbers. In our time the songs were the part of the story. That’s what I feel. I don’t find much varied choreography in today’s films,” said Rehman.
- Waheeda Rehman: Classics Should Not Be Remade - Jan 13, 2011
- Neil excited about big screen love story (Movie Snippets) - Dec 26, 2011
- 'Kahaani' likely to be remade in English too - May 16, 2012
- Deepti Naval finds nothing wrong with remakes - Dec 09, 2011
- Emraan an accommodating co-star, says Bipasha (Movie Snippets) - Feb 03, 2012
- Gulzar turns narrator for anti-war movie (Movie Snippets) - May 30, 2012
- Itsy-bitsy cholis spice up Bollywood (Feature) - Dec 03, 2011
- Today's songs lack good lyrics: Kavita Krishnamurthy - Jan 18, 2012
- I'm stylish, not sexy: Sonam Kapoor - Aug 09, 2012
- Big heroines don't need item numbers: Hema Malini - Jun 04, 2012
- Vidya Balan's Mohiniyattam Postponed, Shoulder Condition Relapse - Aug 28, 2010
- Shabana handpicks dad's songs for compilation - Jan 14, 2012
- Women-centric films reflect changing society: Vidya - May 30, 2012
- 'Kahaani' to be remade in Tamil, Telugu - May 16, 2012
- Vidya Balan to do item number in 'Ferari Ki Sawari' - Jan 31, 2012
Tags: aamir khan, aur, coloured version, favourite songs, heroine, kahi, kiya, kya, mumbai, nutan, original version, phool, pyaasa, sahib bibi aur ghulam, sonam kapoor, suni, veteran actress, vidya balan, waheeda rehman, white films