Sonam complete antithesis of ‘Saawariya’ character: Anil Kapoor (Interview)September 21st, 2008 - 9:24 am ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Sep 21 (IANS) Anil Kapoor, versatile actor and father of Bollywood actress Sonam Kapoor, says his daughter is the complete antithesis of the soft character she played in Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s “Saawariya”.”Sonam is very spunky and sporty unlike the role she played in her debut movie. She also has a fantastic dress sense,” a proud Anil beamed after watching Sonam walk the ramp with aplomb for designer Anamika Khanna at the HDIL India Couture Week here.
“I was excited to see her walk down the ramp. It was her first time and it was a completely new experience for me,” Kapoor told IANS in an interview.
“Saawariya” (2007) was a stark love story based on Fyodor Dostoevsky’s classic “White Nights” in which yesterday’s superstar Rishi Kapoor’s son Ranbir Kapoor and Sonam made their debut.
Sonam played the role of a shy, quiet girl named Sakina whose eyes were always filled with sadness - quite unlike the real Sonam who is bubbly, vivacious and energetic, as her father very aptly pointed out.
After his daughter set the runway on fire, Kapoor said: “I am amazed, she was looking so gorgeous and the best thing was that she was so comfortable on the ramp.”
Asked about his personal style statement Kapoor replied: “I do not follow any trends, but my wife and my daughters are so fashion conscious that they make sure I dress up appropriately for the occasion.”
“I believe in comfort. So, I have a black jeans that I find very comfortable, but I can’t wear them everywhere,” he said smilingly.
Kapoor, a multifaceted actor, has been in showbiz for almost 30 years and has proved his mettle in movies like “Tezaab” and “Beta” for which he got the Filmfare Best Actor award. He has also won a National Award for his performance in “Pukaar”.
Apart from acting, Kapoor has also donned the producer’s hat for movies like “Badhaai Ho Badhaai” (2002), “My wife’s murder” (2005) and “Gandhi, My Father” (2007). Though all these movies bombed at the box office this hasn’t dampened the actor’s spirit.
“I believe in following my heart. Box-office success doesn’t matter. Through my movies, I am not looking at commercial success. I want to improve the quality of Indian cinema,” he explained.
Kapoor is currently producing “Shortcut - The Con Is On” that has Akshay Khanna and Arshad Warsi in the lead roles.
This apart, he will soon be seen in Subhash Ghai’s “Yuvraaj” along with Salman Khan and Katrina Kaif in a movie that has music by maestro A.R. Rehman.
- B-town wishes love, luck for Sonam's birthday - Jun 09, 2012
- I'm itching to direct: Sonam Kapoor (Interview) - Jul 23, 2010
- Modelling was never for me: Anil Kapoor - Jul 23, 2010
- My children don't want to do remakes: Anil Kapoor - Mar 11, 2012
- I'd get more time to promote 'Mausam': Sonam Kapoor - Sep 16, 2011
- Abhay and I have similar acting styles: Sonam Kapoor - Dec 03, 2009
- Sonam Kapoor turns 26, gets chocolate cake from sister - Jun 09, 2011
- Films dont fail, budgets fail: Sonam Kapoor (Interview) - Jun 26, 2010
- Sonam Kapoor Gets Two Hollywood Offers - Jul 08, 2010
- I've always found women superior: Anil Kapoor (Interview) - Jul 06, 2010
- It's great to be part of film family: Sonam Kapoor - Jun 30, 2010
- I'd love to play Salim in 'Mughal-e-Azam' remake: Jackie Shroff (Movie Snippets) - Dec 16, 2010
- Ranbir Kapoor sings for sex workers (Movie Snippets) - Sep 08, 2011
- Anil Kapoor Gives Punctuality Lessons To Daughter Sonam! - Sep 15, 2010
- Ira Dubey Gets A Protective Hand From Anil Kapoor - Aug 17, 2010