Some of Hollywoods casting blunders revealedSeptember 21st, 2008 - 4:39 pm ICT by ANI
London, Sept 21 (ANI): Picture child star Macaulay Culkin as Jack Dawson shouting from the ships edge Im the king of the world in Titanic? Or imagine Dustin Hoffman instead of Al Pacino in The Godfather? Doesnt ring a bell, well, these are some of the first choices made by Hollywood casting directors for roles.
Some of the biggest hits in Hollywood never had their original actors as a choice for the role and landed the role just by chance, according to a new book by Eila Mell, reports The Daily Express.
Titled Casting Might-Have-Beens, the book reveals mismatches that could have ruined some of the worlds greatest films.
The book suggests that box-office triumphs are mostly a case of shining luck, rather than judgment.
For instance, even a single star in The Godfather was not on the must-have list. While Ernest Borgnine was preferred to Marlon Brando (Don Corleone) and Martin Sheen to Robert Duvall (Tom Hagen), the first choice for Sonny was Burt Reynolds instead of James Caan.
In fact, Sylvester Stallone actually threatened producers that hed withdraw the script hes written unless he got to play the lead in Rocky. And rest, as they say, is history.
However, there were others who had to rely on bigger stars dropping out, to get their chance to fame.
Julie Andrews almost lost her defining role in The Sound Of Music to Studio bosses first choice Audrey Hepburn, while Carrie Fisher just managed to snatch the role of Princess Leia from Jodie Foster, who gave a brilliant audition.
That film won Oscars for Foster and her co-star Anthony Hopkins, who nearly lost the role of Hannibal Lecter to studio choices Robert Duvall and John Hurt.
One cant imagine Star Wars with Will Seltzer as Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill), John Travolta as Han Solo (Harrison Ford) and Seven Samurai star Toshiro Mifune as Obi Wan Kenobi (Alec Guinness). But, if it wasnt for the luck of these stars, the story would have been different today.
One of the biggest near-blunders must be the lead in the all-time classic Casablanca, if the casting directors had had their way wed have been looking at Ronald Reagan instead of Humphrey Bogart uttering: Heres looking at you, kid? (ANI)
- 'Star Wars' actor Mark Hamill loses Luke Skywalker charms - Apr 02, 2011
- 'Star Wars' team celebrates 30th anniversary of 'The Empire Strikes Back' - May 21, 2010
- Ewan McGregor still in love with Princess Leia from Star Wars - May 22, 2010
- 'Godfather' star James Caan backs arrested alleged Mafia boss - Jan 27, 2011
- Even today Ray remains alive in me: Soumitra Chatterjee (April 23 in Satyajit Ray's 20th death anniversary) - Apr 23, 2012
- Marlon Brando, Robert Duvall once flashed butts to lighten mood on film sets - Dec 15, 2008
- Godfather actor James Caan celebrates 70th b'day in Vegas - Apr 03, 2010
- GOD FATHER TRIOLOGY ON ZEE STUDIO - OFFERS YOU MOVIES, YOU CANNOT REFUSE - Aug 20, 2010
- Sued production house denies film deal with James Caan - Mar 31, 2009
- Oscar-Winning actor Ernest Borgnine dies at 95 - Jul 09, 2012
- Book reveals Hollywoods near-miss casting calamities - Aug 18, 2008
- Soumitra Chatterjee named for Dada Saheb Phalke award (Lead) - Mar 21, 2012
- Phalke award is recognition of my 53 years of hard work: Soumitra - Mar 21, 2012
- Ernest Borgnine To Receive Lifetime Achievement Award At The Screen Actors Guild Awards 2011 - Jan 30, 2011
- Emma Stone to play Spiderman's love interest in prequel - Oct 06, 2010
Tags: alec guinness, carrie fisher, don corleone, dustin hoffman, ernest borgnine, hannibal lecter, hollywood casting directors, jack dawson, james caan, john travolta, luke skywalker, macaulay culkin, martin sheen, obi wan kenobi, princess leia, seven samurai, star macaulay culkin, sylvester stallone, tom hagen, toshiro mifune