Solomon Burke Passes AwayOctober 12th, 2010 - 4:32 pm ICT by Sampurn Wire
October 12, 2010 (Sampurn Wire): Solomon Burke, known as the ‘King of Rock and Soul’, was found dead at the Schiphol Airport in Amsterdam on Sunday. A spokeswoman for the airport in Amsterdam announced that the singer was dead, but refused to divulge any further details. A doctor, who was called at the Schiphol morgue announced that the death was the result of natural causes. Solomon Burke’s body will be flown to the US next week. The singer was aged 70.
Solomon Burke is known to have 21 children and 90 grandchildren. The soul singer’s brush with The Netherlands goes a long way back. Burke has performed in the island country many times and was also scheduled to release an album titled ‘Hold on Tight’ with the Dutch band De Dijk, this Tuesday. The man behind the classic hit ‘Somebody to Love’, last performed at a concert in Seattle as early as last month. The singer was always known for his huge form and the royal sets in which he preferred to perform while on stage. Solomon Burke was the proud owner of a Grammy Award, awarded to him in the year 2003.
Little did the world know that a singer who started his career singing for church choirs, would move on to be hailed as one of the most popular figures in the history of soul music. Apart from his career as a singer, Solomon Burke also owned a limousine rental service and a funeral enterprise.
– Sampurn Wire
- Grammy Award-Winning Singer Solomon Burke Dies - Oct 11, 2010
- Solomon Burke, "The Legendary King of Rock and Soul", dies at 70 - Oct 11, 2010
- Singer Solomon Burke Dies At 70 - Oct 10, 2010
- Mick Jagger, Bob Dylan to perform at Grammys - Feb 11, 2011
- Mick Jagger to give first solo performance on Grammys - Feb 04, 2011
- Mick Jagger to perform at Grammy Awards - Feb 04, 2011
- Cold reception for 'Oranje' in the Netherlands - Jun 19, 2012
- Glen Campbell gives a great performance at the Grammys - Feb 14, 2012
- Lady Gaga, Eminem bag top honours at Grammys (Roundup) - Feb 14, 2011
- Spanish plane hijacking report denied - Aug 30, 2012
- Julie Andrews: ‘The Sound Of Music ‘ Star To Receive The Grammy Award For Lifetime Achievement - Dec 23, 2010
- Shillong choir founder named to World Choir Council - May 31, 2012
- Singer Amy Winehouse found dead in London apartment - Jul 24, 2011
- Dutch police arrest British terror suspect at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport - Sep 19, 2010
- Passenger plane makes emergency landing at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport - Jun 07, 2010
Tags: amsterdam, church choirs, de dijk, doctor who, dutch band, grammy award, grandchildren, king of rock, limousine, morgue, netherlands, proud owner, schiphol airport, seattle, solomon burke, soul music, soul singer, spokeswoman