Sohail Khan willing to play second fiddle to brothersAugust 20th, 2008 - 9:05 am ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 20 (IANS) Actor Sohail Khan says he loves experimenting for his brothers Salman and Arbaaz and adds that he doesn’t crave to be recognised as an actor outside his home turf.”With our production house doing well, as an actor I don’t have to be desperate. I’m not so ambitious as to put my whole and soul into an acting career. I can do solo-hero films. But I’d rather be part of bigger projects with Salmanbhai that will have a smooth-sailing release. As a producer I know which projects will make it smoothly,” Sohail told IANS.
The actor stepped in at the 11th hour in the Salman starrer “God Tussi Great Ho” after Yash Tonk suddenly opted out - only because Salman requested him to come on board.
“Yash Tonk was originally doing my role. He even shot for four days. Then he got busy with his television work.
“Yash is a friend …We did ‘Fight Club’ together. It was an awkward situation for him. He called me up and requested me to get into his shoes. Since it was Salmanbhai’s film I didn’t think twice,” Sohail explained.
It can’t be a coincidence. All of Sohail’s acting assignments in the past three years, from “Maine Pyar Kyun Kiya” to “Salaam-E-Ishq” to “God Tussi Great Ho”, “Heroes” and “Main Aur Mrs. Khanna” are in his big brother’s company.
And if it isn’t Salman, then it’s Arbaaz, like in the recently released “Jaane Tu… Ya Jaane Na” and now in the forthcoming “Kissan” they play brothers once again.
Sohail had to speak a lot of Punjabi for “Kissan”.
“It’s my first raw-and-real film. And my Punjabi is very scratchy. I had to polish it up before I could face the camera. I like wearing different hats… especially for my brothers.”
“In ‘Kissan’, Arbaaz and I play hardcore farmers in dhotis. I had never worn a dhoti before. It’s the most authentic production we’ve ever done. It’s about the new generation of farmers not valuing their land.
“Jackie Shroff plays our father. We shot in Chandigarh for 40 days at a stretch. Then I left for Melbourne for ‘Main Aur Mrs. Khanna’… Quite a culture shock. Now we go into ‘Partner 2′ where I don’t have an acting part.”
“Partner 2″ will of course have Govinda and Salman. But the leading ladies Katrina Kaif and Lara Dutta will change.
“It’s basically a brand name now. And Salmanbhai and Govinda are part of that brand. Govinda keeps embarrassing us by praising bhai and me all the time.”
Sohail is producing “Partner 2″ as well as a remake of “Amar Akbar Anthony”, in which he plays Rishi Kapoor’s part.
He once again said that he enjoyed working with Salman.
“There’s no hassle, no sense of one-upmanship, no double-hero ego problems and we share a great chemistry. So producers like signing us together. I was never supposed to be in ‘Salaam-E-Ishq’. My track was added much later. It had nothing to do with Salmanbhai.
The actor plays Priyanka Chopra’s pal in “God Tussi Great Ho”. And in “Main Aur Mrs. Khanna” he plays the man who has an unrequited love for Kareena Kapoor.
“I’m very happy with the acting work that I do. Acting is only a part of my life. I want to produce, give time to my wife and son and spend time with my friends. I want to do quality work.”
No plans of the Khan brothers turning into a self-contained film empire?
“No, we’ll continue to freelance as actors,” said Sohail. “And we’ll continue to introduce new talent like Prem Soni, who’s directing ‘Main Aur Mrs. Khanna’ for us. My hands are full till 2010. And I’m a producer first, an actor later.”
- Priyanka Chopra, Salman Khan: ‘I Am Hariprasad’ May Bring Them Together Again! - Dec 04, 2010
- Sohail's Secret Confession: I am not a successful actor - Oct 16, 2009
- Salman's RSVP to David Dhawan from Cuba - Feb 11, 2012
- Sohail not in 'Dabangg' sequel: Arbaaz - Jul 15, 2011
- Prakash Raj main villain of 'Dabangg 2': Arbaaz - Oct 25, 2011
- Salman Khan is Dabang- Sohail Khan - Jul 27, 2009
- It's true, I will direct 'Dabangg' sequel: Arbaaz - Mar 03, 2011
- I DID NOT WANT TO ASK SALMAN BHAI TO ACT IN KISAAN - Aug 31, 2009
- Main Aur Mrs Khanna Music Launch - Sep 10, 2009
- The Khans' Big Dabangg Bash Being Planned On A War Footing - Sep 18, 2010
- Govinda denies threatening brother-in-law - Sep 02, 2011
- Preity Zinta not an 'item girl' in my film: Director - Oct 09, 2009
- 'Main Aurr...' about dealing with conflicting feelings (IANS Preview) - Oct 13, 2009
- Salman Khan promises to feature in Prem Soni's next film - Oct 21, 2009
- I have overstayed in the industry by ten years -Salman Khan - Oct 14, 2009