Snoop Dogg dons turban, sherwani for ‘Singh is Kinng’July 19th, 2008 - 4:53 pm ICT by IANS
By Subhash K. Jha
Mumbai, July 19 (IANS) When Snoop Dogg decided to shoot a song with Akshay Kumar for “Singh is Kinng”, he didn’t know what he was getting into. According to the contract, the rapper was to have his own crew and clothes but within no time Akshay had him eating Indian food and wearing a turban. Producer Vipul Shah told IANS: “We finally shot the song in Chicago. It’s true the contract said everything in the shoot, including the clothes were to be done by Snoop Dogg’s crew. But Akshay decided to shop for his own clothes. And he persuaded Snoop Dogg to accompany him.
“They bought themselves a sherwani and a turban each. Plus a whole lot of accessories that you’ll see them sporting in the song. Akshay persuaded Snoop to dress up like a Sardarji for the song. The rapper sportingly agreed although he’s known to never go beyond his contract.”
Apparently Akshay and Snoop’s shopping spree cost Vipul a bomb. In all, he spent Rs.20 million for the video.
“Well, it’s not easy to shop for sherwanis and turbans in Chicago. They ran up a bill of $10,000. To his credit, Akshay paid his own share and told me he’d use all the stuff he had bought beyond my film. In fact, Akshay bought a golden jacket at his own cost that you’ll see in all the hoardings.
“But yes, I did have to foot Snoop Dogg’s shopping bill of approximately $5,000. But I didn’t mind the cost because Akshay managed to do the impossible - he got an international artiste seriously interested in Bollywood. Now Snoop will visit India for further collaborations.”
Snoop will be coming to India on Akshay’s invitation.
Shah said: “It was truly heart warming to see the camaraderie between them. They not only danced together but also sang together. I’d say this Snoop Dogg-Akshay number is truly international.
“Snoop is from Los Angeles, RDB who mixed the song are from London and Pritam Chakbraborty, who did the score, fine-tuned the track in Mumbai. In fact I’m truly grateful to Pritam. Although I broke my contract with him by bringing another composer into the soundtrack, Pritam sportingly suggested changes, which I’ve incorporated into the Snoop Dogg track.”
- Rapper Snoop Dogg takes football to Chicago - Aug 01, 2011
- Snoop Dogg's food joint? - Jul 02, 2011
- Snoop Dogg wants to judge 'American Idol' - Aug 03, 2012
- Snoop Dogg plans to launch talent show - May 19, 2011
- Akshay Kumar To Shake A Leg With John Travolta At A Live Event - Sep 21, 2010
- Snoop calls Beckham a passionate father - Jun 07, 2012
- Snoop Dogg to launch premium cigars - Jan 21, 2012
- Jessica Mauboy paid Snoop Dogg hefty sum to rap - Nov 04, 2010
- US rapper Snoop Dogg 'keen to become an Aussie citizen' - Apr 17, 2011
- John Travolta-Akshay Kumar to dance on stage together - Sep 25, 2010
- Katy Perry To Sing In Snoop Dogg's Next Album? - Sep 04, 2010
- John Travolta-Akshay Kumar To Dance On Stage Together? - Sep 25, 2010
- Snoop Dogg to star in sitcom - Oct 07, 2011
- Paris Hilton to record with Snoop Dogg - Jan 30, 2012
- Snoop Dogg turns down 'X Factor' - Apr 05, 2011
Tags: akshay kumar, camaraderie, coming to india, hoardings, indian food, invitation, mumbai, own clothes, pritam, rdb, sardarji, sherwsherwanis, shopping spree, snoop dogg, subhash k jha, turban, turbans, vipul shah, whole lot