Snipes faces international travel ban pending appeal in tax evasion caseMarch 26th, 2009 - 4:43 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, March 26 (ANI): Actor Wesley Snipes may be banned from travelling abroad for work commitments, as prosecutors in his tax evasion case are requesting a Florida judge to bar his movements internationally. A three-year prison sentence was pronounced on the Blade star for tax evasion last year, after he was found guilty of failing to file taxes for five years.
He is presently free on a 1 million-dollar bond pending an appeal.
A federal judge ruled that Snipes, while he waits for the outcome of the appeal, could fly to London and Thailand to work on movies Gallowwalker and Chasing The Dragon.
He has also been allowed to travel to Namibia to re-shoot scenes for Gallowwalker, and then to Italy to film a new action movie.
The prosecutors, however, are requesting the court to ban Snipes from travelling internationally because he was snapped attending an “unauthorised” 20 million-dollar party in Dubai for the opening of the Atlantis Hotel resort.
“Defendant Snipes abused the Court’s trust, and did so in a very public way. For that reason alone, the Court should deny his current request for international travel,” Contactmusic quoted the U.S. Attorney’s Office as saying in court papers filed in Ocala, Florida on Tuesday.
The federal prosecutors are also requesting that Snipes’ bond be revoked pending the appeal. (ANI)
- Actor Wesley Snipes ordered to begin three-year prison term - Nov 20, 2010
- Wesley Snipes ordered to begin 3-yr prison term for tax evasion - Dec 02, 2010
- Wesley Snipes to serve 3-year jail term - Nov 20, 2010
- Wesley Snipes Wishes A Fresh Trial On Tax Evasion Charges - Jun 27, 2010
- "Blade" Star Wesley Snipes Ordered To Serve Three Years In Prison - Nov 20, 2010
- Wesley Snipes waits for his surrender date - Aug 24, 2010
- Kenneth Starr's arrest may aid the Wesley Snipes tax evasion case - Jun 27, 2010
- Wesley Snipes' appeal against tax evasion sentence denied - Jul 17, 2010
- Wesley Snipes wants new trial in tax evasion case - Aug 26, 2010
- Judge Postpones Wesley Snipes' Prison Sentence - Aug 26, 2010
- Wesley Snipes' lawyers file fresh appeal against his 3-year prison term - Dec 18, 2010
- Wesley Snipes Tax Evasion Case Gets New Twist - Jun 27, 2010
- Wesley Snipes begins 3-yr prison term for tax evasion - Dec 10, 2010
- Court Upholds Tax Sentence Of Wesley Snipes - Jul 19, 2010
- Koran burning US pastor jailed - Apr 23, 2011
Tags: 1 million, atlantis hotel, blade, chasing the dragon, defendant, dollar bond, dubai, federal judge, federal prosecutors, florida judge, gallowwalker, hotel resort, international travel, namibia, ocala florida, prison sentence, tax evasion case, travel ban, wesley snipes, work commitments