Slumdog Millionaire’’s child actors to miss Academy AwardsFebruary 14th, 2009 - 3:39 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 14 (ANI): Child actors Rubina Ali and Azharuddin Ismail, who starred in the critically acclaimed film Slumdog Millionaire, will miss the Oscars next week because their parents have allegedly withdrawn their permission for traveling to Los Angeles with other cast members.
According to reports, they have instead asked for the airfares to be paid to them in cash.
The film, which tracks the story of an 18-year-old slum boy from rags to riches, has been nominated for 10 Academy Awards.
Film producer Christian Colson revealed that the unexpected success of the film has disturbed his and director Danny Boyle’’s plans for the children to enjoy a long-term benefit from appearing in the film.
The movie bosses were accused of underpaying Azharuddin, 8, and Rubina, 8, who played young Salim and young Latika in the film.
The film’’s makers had decided not take any of the child actors to any of the many award ceremonies, but were later persuaded to take them to the Oscars.
They had begun trying to get passports for Rubina or Azharuddin when their parents said they would not be going.
Azharuddin’’s father was in hospital and his mother would not let him travel with a chaperone.
“Now it’’s too late. The last thing they said to us was give us the money for the plane fares instead,” the Telegraph quoted him as saying. (ANI)
- Slumdog star Rubina Ali set to move from shantytown - Jan 14, 2010
- ''Slumdog Millionaire'' kids visit Shirdi - Mar 23, 2009
- From slums to queen of suburbs, Rubina Ali goes places (With Image) - Oct 16, 2011
- Fairytale ride continues for 'Slumdog Millionaire' children - Mar 22, 2012
- How Slumdog Millionaire's success changed lives of film's child stars - Dec 26, 2009
- "Slumdog Millionaire" child actress Rubina Ali loses home in a fire - Mar 08, 2011
- Slumdog child star Rubina Ali left homeless - Dec 31, 2009
- Rival studios trying to sabotage Slumdogs Oscar chances? - Feb 02, 2009
- All gone in fire, grieves 'Slumdog' star Rubina Ali - Mar 05, 2011
- ''Slumdog Millionaire'' bosses defend young Indian actors'' pay - Jan 28, 2009
- Danny Boyle buys new home for homeless Azharuddin Ismail - May 28, 2009
- Indian slum kids' fairytale experience at Oscars - Feb 23, 2009
- 'Slumdog Millionaire' kid Azharuddin to move to a flat - Jun 11, 2009
- 'Slumdog Millionaire' child stars shine in Kochi - Sep 19, 2009
- 'Slumdog...' children were under-paid, allege parents - Jan 27, 2009
Tags: academy awards, award ceremonies, azharuddin, cast members, chaperone, child actors, christian colson, director danny boyle, film producer, ismail, latika, london feb, oscars, passports, rags to riches, s child, salim, slum, term benefit, unexpected success