Slumdog Millionaire released in India as Slumdog CrorepatiJanuary 23rd, 2009 - 1:59 pm ICT by Amrit Rashmisrisethi
Slumdog Millionaire, the 2008 drama film directed by Danny Boyle and written by Simon Beaufoy, based upon the Boeke Prize winning novel Q and A by an Indian author and diplomat Vikas Swarup.
Slumdog Millionaire released in North American on 12 November 2008 to critical acclaim and awards success, and later had a nationwide release in the United States on 26 December 2008 and in the United Kingdom on 9 January 2009. The movie premiered in Mumbai on 22 January 2009.
Slumdog Millionaire won five of the six awards it was nominated for at the Critics Choice Awards and all four of the awards was nominated for at the Golden Globes. It has also been nominated for eleven BAFTA Awards and ten Academy Awards. A 2008 Critics Choice Awards winner for Best Composer, A.R. Rahman became the first Indian national to win a Golden Globe, winning for Slumdog Millionaire in the category of Best Original Score.
Slumdog Millionaire tells the story of a young man (Jamal Malik, an 18 year-old orphan) from the slums of Mumbai who appears on a game show and exceeds people’s expectations, arousing the suspicions of the game show host and of law enforcement officials. Just one correct question away from the grand prize.
Is the eighteen year old cheating? Or is it just his luck which he could give all his answers right?
- Rahman loses BAFTA - Feb 14, 2011
- Slumdog Millionaire''s odds on winning Bafta gong slashed to 1-6 - Feb 07, 2009
- Rahman in Oscar run again with two nominations for '127 Hours' - Jan 25, 2011
- With eight Oscars, 'Slumdog Millionaire' sweeps Academy awards - Feb 23, 2009
- 'Slumdog' gets Best Picture nomination from US guild - Jan 06, 2009
- Rahman gets BAFTA nomination for '127 Hours' music - Jan 18, 2011
- 'Slumdog Millionaire' music wins A.R. Rahman Satellite Award - Dec 17, 2008
- Rahman wins Golden Globe, 'Slumdog' bags top prizes (Second Lead) - Jan 12, 2009
- You get success, then a movie gets ripped off: A.R. Rahman (Interview) - Jan 22, 2011
- 'Jai ho' Rahman at Golden Globe nominations again (Lead) - Dec 14, 2010
- Rahman loses out on Globe Globe (Lead) - Jan 17, 2011
- 'Slumdog' saga continues with more Oscar nominations - Jan 08, 2009
- A.R. Rahman wins Golden Globe nomination for 'Slumdog Millionaire' - Dec 12, 2008
- Boyle's '127 Hours' to hit Indian screens Jan 28 - Dec 30, 2010
- 'Jai ho' fetches a bouquet of global awards for Rahman - Feb 01, 2010
Tags: 12 november, 26 december, 9 january, academy awards, awards winner, bafta awards, best original score, correct question, critical acclaim, critics choice awards, crorepati, danny boyle, drama film, game show host, golden globe, golden globes, indian author, jamal malik, law enforcement officials, slums