‘Slumdog Millionaire’ kids give letter of request to Sonia Gandhi (Lead)March 19th, 2009 - 10:29 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 19 (IANS) It was an afternoon to remember for the child stars of Oscar winning film “Slumdog Millionaire” - Rubina Ali Qureshi and Azharuddin Mohammed Ismail Shaikh who met Congress president Sonia Gandhi and gave her a letter, requesting they be given a house as soon as possible.
The kids were in the capital to walk the ramp for designer duo Ashima-Leena at the Wills Lifestyle India Fashion Week (WIFW) which began Wednesday.
Both Rubina, 9, and Azharuddin, 10, along with their parents landed in the capital Tuesday and the designer duo had made all their arrangements.
“On our behalf, the designer duo gave Soniaji a letter that requested her to take some immediate step and arrange a house for us. We are still living in the shanty place of east Bandra and what all has been promised to us was not given,” Azharuddin’s mother Shamim Shaikh told IANS.
“Sonaiji was very nice to us and has assured that everything will be fine. It was a wonderful meeting and we trust her words,” Shamim added.
Posing effortlessly for the shutter-bugs, both kids were excited to walk the ramp for the first time for Ashima-Leena.
“I am not at all nervous. I have rehearsed a lot, so its just that I have to wear the clothes and walk, like I normally do,” Azharuddin said.
Talking about her experience at Gandhi’s residence, Rubina said smiling that the meeting was just ‘perfect’.
“We had amazing fun. We went there in the afternoon and after that we had snacks, drinks and so many things. We had to make a choice - what to eat and what not to,” she explained.
“After having snacks, we did a bit of swimming also and later we went to sleep. ‘Bahut maza aaya’ (We really had fun),” she added.
In between this conversation, Shamim reminded them that the Congress president had also gifted them a ‘chocolate box’.
“Oh yes! She also gave us chocolates, we have eaten some and we will eat the rest once we go back to our room,” Rubina exclaimed.
When asked who will Azharuddin ape while walking the ramp, the boy made it clear that it was none other than the Bollywood actor Salman Khan.
“He is my favourite actor. I just love him and I want to make sure that on the ramp I walk like him. He is so strong and handsome too,” the boy said with a shy smile.
- Walking the ramp is fun for me: Sharmila Tagore - Aug 09, 2012
- I was skeptical about walking the ramp: Sharmila Tagore - Jul 25, 2011
- Azhar gave us new lease of life: 'Slumdog' star's mother (Interview) - Mar 20, 2009
- DCW puts spotlight on opulence, grandeur and business (Preview) - Aug 07, 2012
- Designers happy as business takes front seat at WIFW (Review) - Apr 11, 2011
- Sharmila Tagore to walk for Ashima-Leena at DCW (With Image) - Aug 05, 2012
- I felt like a queen on the ramp: Jaya Prada (With Images) - Oct 24, 2009
- 'Slumdog' kids back in shanties - with Oscar dreams - Mar 02, 2011
- 'Slumdog Millionaire' kids dance to 'Jai Ho' at WIFW (With Images) - Mar 19, 2009
- Sex worker's life lights up the Fashion Week ramp - Feb 18, 2012
- No time or money for copyright, say Indian designers - May 04, 2011
- Little Rubina, Azhar have date with Sonia Gandhi - Mar 19, 2009
- Rubina, Azhar's day out with Sonia Gandhi, fashion week (Lead) - Mar 19, 2009
- Buyers' resolute thumbs up to Delhi Couture Week (Review) - Jul 26, 2011
- Ashima-Leena craft 4,000 outfits for CWG ceremonies - Sep 25, 2010
Tags: ali qureshi, azharuddin, bandra, child stars, chocolate box, congress president sonia gandhi, india fashion week, leena, letter of request, march 19, maza, millionaire, mohammed ismail, New Delhi, ramp, shamim, shanty, shutter, snacks, wills lifestyle india fashion week