‘Slumdog Millionaire’ children back on streets, shanties razedMay 14th, 2009 - 3:52 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, May 14 (IANS) Nearly 20 children who acted in the Oscar-winning “Slumdog Millionaire” have been thrown on the streets after Mumbai civic authorities Thursday morning demolished nearly 50 huts in a slum here, terming the slum unauthorised.
Azharuddin Ismail M. Shaikh, the main child star of the movie, said a team of the Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (MCGM) came unannounced this morning, ordered them to move out of their shanties in Garib Nagar slum of Bandra East and demolished them.
“We have nowhere to go. We are just sitting on the road in the blazing sun right now. All our belongings and other household goods have either been thrown out or damaged. We don’t know what we will eat today,” Azhar, crying inconsolably, told IANS.
When contacted, Assistant Municipal Commissioner H (East) Ward U.D. Mistry said the MCGM had specific orders from the headquarters to clear off all hutments which are constructed on the main drain in Bandra East.
“It may have happened that these celebrity children’s homes also fell in this category, but we have to follow orders,” Mistry said.
He added that if eligible, all the displaced persons would be provided alternative accommodation before the monsoon, expected to hit Mumbai early June.
In the meantime, the families of Azhar and his co-star Rubina Ali Qureshi are now pinning their hopes on getting a flat as promised by Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan.
The flat allotment was delayed since the elections were announced but now the model code of conduct will be lifted Monday.
This is the second time in the past five years or so that the MCGM has demolished the shanties in the area. Since the last demolition, the families, including those of the ‘Slumdog’ artistes, have been living in a park or pavements, said a resident, Yakub Abdul Sheikh.
- 'Slumdog' kids back in shanties - with Oscar dreams - Mar 02, 2011
- From slums to queen of suburbs, Rubina Ali goes places (With Image) - Oct 16, 2011
- 'Slumdog...' star Azhar ill, shanty's fate uncertain - Mar 03, 2009
- Fairytale ride continues for 'Slumdog Millionaire' children - Mar 22, 2012
- 'Slumdog...' star Azharuddin to tell his story in English - Jun 13, 2010
- 'Slumdog' actor Rubina gets New Year flat gift from Danny Boyle - Dec 31, 2009
- 'Slumdog' kids finally get homes of their own - May 29, 2009
- Fire rages through 'Slumdog Millionaire' actors' previous homes - Mar 05, 2011
- Bandra's 'Millionaire' star remains at neighbour's mercy - Mar 07, 2011
- 'Slumdog Millionaire' kid leaves slum for school - Dec 28, 2009
- 'Slumdog' kids Ismail and Rubina gifted flats (Lead) - Feb 25, 2009
- 'Slumdog Millionaire' kid Azharuddin to move to a flat - Jun 11, 2009
- Oscar fame kids may be gifted government flats in Mumbai - Feb 24, 2009
- Mumbai's civic authorities render 'Slumdog Millionaire' kids homeless - May 14, 2009
- All gone in fire, grieves 'Slumdog' star Rubina Ali - Mar 05, 2011
Tags: ali qureshi, allotment, ashok, azharuddin, bandra, celebrity children, child star, civic authorities, co star, displaced persons, household goods, maharashtra chief minister, main drain, mistry, model code, municipal commissioner, pavements, rubina, shanties, slum