Slumdog Millionaire Actor Ajit Pandey Charged And Arrested For ExtortionJune 23rd, 2009 - 10:01 pm ICT by GD
Slumdog Millionaire actor, 20 year old Ajit Pandey was arrested from his Mumbai residence in Bhyandar on Sunday following charges that he was extorting money and trying to bag film roles by threatening film producers over the phone. Ajit used an alias to threaten the producers. He assumed the name of a certain Irfan Husri, an associate of the underworld kingpin Chota Shakeel, and asked producers either to sign “his man” Ajit, or pay the hefty sum of twenty lacs. Pandey used a friend’s sim card for making these calls.
To make things convincing he would then call up the same producer as himself and tell him that Husri had threatened that he should work with that particular producer or face consequences. Pandey went to the extent of actually lodging a complaint with Mira Road Police station about the alleged threats. Pramod Kapoor (Ramanand Sagar productions) was one of the producers whom Ajit called. Though at first the police were misled, it did not take them long to figure out that Pandey was behind these calls. One of the things that helped them to understand that Pandey himself was making the calls was the fact that in all cases the producers were only being asked to sign Panday, and not any other actor.
Pandey has acted in several TV serials. Some of these are Oh Darling Yeh Hai India and Saarthi. In Slumdog he played the role of a goon who is hired by a gangster (played by Mahesh Manjrekar) and seems to haver taken his role too seriously.
- Mahesh Manjrekar gets chic makeover for 'Ready' (With Image) - Mar 17, 2011
- Mahie Gill is Mona Darling in 'Zanjeer' remake - Apr 09, 2012
- Chunky Demands Royalty For Chulbul Panday - Jul 27, 2010
- First Indian-origin PM of Trinidad bows out of politics - Apr 17, 2010
- Manjrekar's 'City Of Gold' powerful and gritty (IANS Film Review; Rating:***1/2) - Apr 24, 2010
- 'Mahi didn't want to play Mona Darling' - Apr 10, 2012
- Salman surprises Manjrekar with 'Bodyguard' offer - Mar 18, 2011
- Indian Army chief plays down Chinese incursion - Jan 10, 2011
- Trinidad's Indian-origin ex-PM freed of corruption charges - Jun 28, 2012
- Censor Board Gives A Certificate To Hello Darling - Aug 24, 2010
- 'Loot' downhill all the way (Hindi Movie Review -- Rating: * 1/2) - Nov 04, 2011
- 'Siruthai' is a family entertainer (Tamil Film Review; Rating: ***) - Jan 15, 2011
- Cash-for-vote scam accused alleges pressure to implicate leaders - Aug 08, 2011
- Reports of alleged Chinese intrusion in Demchok baseless: Govt. - Jan 10, 2011
- Army chief plays down Chinese troop incursion in Ladakh - Jan 10, 2011
Tags: ajit, alias, extortion, film producers, film roles, gangster, goon, hefty sum, irfan, kingpin, lacs, mahesh manjrekar, millionaire, mira road, police station, ramanand sagar, saarthi, sim card, tv serials, underworld