‘Slumdog-inspired’ Bollywood bug bites BritainMay 10th, 2009 - 2:27 pm ICT by ANI
London, May 10 (ANI): Thanks to the runaway success of Slumdog Millionaire, Britain’s film industry has undergone “the Bollywood makeover”.
Following the triumph of the Oscar-award winning film, several British films are either set in India or poking fun at the culture clash experienced by British Indians.
What’s more, these films are scheduled for release, hoping to catch the same East-West audience that made such a hit of Danny Boyle’s tale about a boy who wins India’s version of ‘Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?’.
Studio bosses in the UK are hoping to replicate the success of Slumdog Millionaire, which has so far taken 227million pounds at the international box office, reports The Independent.
New films in production include Indian Summer, which is being filmed on location in the subcontinent. It tells the story of the last days of colonial rule and is directed by Joe Wright.
“India is a fascinating, extraordinary place. What’s happening there is going to affect us more and more, whether in film-industry terms or politically with what’s happening in Pakistan,” Wright told Variety magazine.
Gurinder Chadha, who directed the 2002 sleeper hit Bend it Like Beckham, is currently making It’s a Wonderful Afterlife, which is set in London.
It stars the Indian actress Shabana Azmi and is a comedy about a British Asian mother’s attempts to marry off her daughter, which leads to a bout of serial killing.
Blame it on the Bhangra is another comedy about a British Asian girl trying to break into the macho world of bhangra dancing. It is being developed by Origin Pictures.
Rafta, Rafta is another comedy set in an Indian community in the north of England, in which two newlyweds find it hard to consummate their marriage. (ANI)
- Get a glimpse of Gurinder Chadha's new film April 1 - Mar 29, 2010
- Sanjeev Bhaskar wary of eating at Gurinder Chadha's house! - Apr 15, 2010
- 'It's A Wonderful...' comedy about ghosts and marriage (IANS Preview) - May 03, 2010
- Gurinder Chadha cannot speak Hindi! - Nov 24, 2009
- Chadha pays tribute to 'Ealing Comedies' with 'It's A Wonderful...' (With Images) - Apr 20, 2010
- Gurinder Chadha On 'It's A Wonderful Afterlife' - Mar 19, 2010
- 'It's A Wonderful Afterlife' my best work: Gurinder Chadha - Jan 11, 2010
- '...Wonderful Afterlife' takes me back to my Punjabi roots: Gurinder Chadha (Interview) - May 14, 2009
- Gurinder Chadha's Film Selected to Premiere at the Sundance Film Festival - Jan 11, 2010
- Gurinder Chadha Speaks To Subhash K Jha On Her Plans - May 13, 2009
- Gurinder Chadha's 3-Year Old Twins Make Their Acting Debut - Apr 14, 2010
- Chadha's twins make acting debut with 'It's A Wonderful...' - Apr 14, 2010
- India alluring Brit filmmakers after Slumdog Millionaire''s success - Mar 16, 2009
- No weddings, no Punjabis in new films: Gurinder Chadha (Interview With Images) - May 06, 2010
- Shahid shines again with 'Badmaash Company' - May 11, 2010
Tags: bend it like beckham, bhangra, britain london, british films, colonial rule, culture clash, danny boyle, extraordinary place, gurinder chadha, indian actress, indian summer, joe wright, macho world, new films, oscar award, runaway success, shabana azmi, studio bosses, variety magazine, who wants to be a millionaire