Slumdog expected to hit PS170m mark after Oscar sweepFebruary 24th, 2009 - 1:57 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 24 (ANI): Danny Boyles Slumdog Millionaire is likely to hit the 170-million-pound mark in world-wide ticket sales after its Oscar sweep, it has been predicted.
While foreign and subtitled films often struggle to make any inroads in American film market, the critically acclaimed film about an 18-year-old slum boy from rags to riches is expected to break records at the box office after its first nationwide release.
Slumdog opened in the US last November in just ten cinemas, but the Oscar sweep has caught the public’’s imagination and it will now get full nationwide release in the world’’s most lucrative film market.
US ticket sales are already close to 70m pounds and according to the industry sources, and the sales are likely to surge in the wake of the Oscars, reports the Scotsman.
Slumdog triumphed the Oscar with 8 awards, including the Best Picture. Helmer Danny Boyle walked away with Best Director gong.
Meanwhile, celebrations are on in the Mumbai slum, where children are rejoicing in their own style. They broke into Bollywood dance numbers as they cheered for two of the film’’s child actors.
Azharuddin Mohammed Ismail, ten, and Rubiana Ali, nine, had been flown to Los Angeles for the ceremony.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh congratulated the Slumdog team, saying: “The winners have done India proud.” (ANI)
- Fairytale ride continues for 'Slumdog Millionaire' children - Mar 22, 2012
- Slumdog star Rubina Ali set to move from shantytown - Jan 14, 2010
- How Slumdog Millionaire's success changed lives of film's child stars - Dec 26, 2009
- Boyle dating Dawson? - Aug 05, 2012
- Danny Boyle comes to homeless Slumdog stars' 'rescue' - May 27, 2009
- Hollywood racist for Asians, says Dev Patel - Aug 10, 2010
- 'Slumdog..' stars Rubina, Azhar to act in Hollywood movie - Jun 12, 2010
- 'Slumdog...' star Azharuddin to tell his story in English - Jun 13, 2010
- "Slumdog Millionaire" child actress Rubina Ali loses home in a fire - Mar 08, 2011
- Slumdog Millionaire bags prestigious Writers Guild Award - Feb 09, 2009
- Rahman to rock Olympics with Punjabi beats! - Jun 30, 2012
- Slumdog Millionaire at 1:12 odds of winning Best Picture Oscar - Feb 16, 2009
- You get success, then a movie gets ripped off: A.R. Rahman (Interview) - Jan 22, 2011
- Slumdog Millionaire child stars risk losing trust fund - Nov 04, 2009
- Freida Pinto dazzles on the red carpet of the premiere of 'Rise of the Planet of the Apes' - Jul 29, 2011
Tags: american film market, best director, boyles, child actors, dance numbers, danny boyle, industry sources, inroads, last november, london feb, manmohan, manmohan singh, mohammed ismail, mumbai slum, pound mark, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rags to riches, s child, ticket sales