‘Slumdog’ actor Rubina gets New Year flat gift from Danny BoyleDecember 31st, 2009 - 7:50 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Dec 31 (IANS) Oscar-winning movie “Slumdog Millionaire” child-actor Rubina Ali Qureshi, whose shanty was demolished Wednesday, is looking forward to a special New Year gift - a spacious new flat gifted by director Danny Boyle through his Jai Ho Trust.
“We have already selected and finalized the deal for a flat costing Rs.3.2 million in the Mumbai suburbs. Even ‘Slumdog Millionaire’ director Danny Boyle has approved it. After finalizing the relevant formalities, Rubina and her family plan to shift there within a month,” Rubina’s business manager Dinesh Dubey told IANS here Thursday evening.
However, he denied that nine-year-old Rubina and her co-star, 11-year-old Azharuddin Mohammed Ismail Shaikh have been given government accommodation after they shot to international fame early this year.
They were given letters allotting tiny flats - each measuring 180 square feet in the far-flung suburb of Malvani - from the state government, which they have refused, Dubey said.
He explained that since they live in the Garib Nagar slum near Bandra station, they would be automatically entitled to a flat measuring 225-square feet as per the slum rehabilitation policy of the government.
“Then why should they settle for something which is much less and lose out on a better future option?” Dubey pointed out.
Azharuddin has already moved into a flat in Santacruz east given by Boyle through the Jai Ho Trust he has set up in Mumbai.
Now, it is Rubina’s turn to move into her own flat with her family and this should materialize very soon, Dubey said, adding that it was a long overdue gift and it was appropriately coming in the New Year 2010.
Meanwhile, the Qureshi family rebuilt their shanty Wednesday night and are planning to restart their lives afresh. This was the second demolition in 8 months by the Mumbai civic authorities.
The worst sufferer due to Wednesday’s demolition was Rubina’s two-month-old step-sister who shivered all through the cold spell that Mumbai has been experiencing since the past one week, Dubey said.
- From slums to queen of suburbs, Rubina Ali goes places (With Image) - Oct 16, 2011
- 'Slumdog...' star Azharuddin to tell his story in English - Jun 13, 2010
- 'Slumdog...' star Rubina to move to a flat soon - Jan 14, 2010
- Fairytale ride continues for 'Slumdog Millionaire' children - Mar 22, 2012
- Bandra's 'Millionaire' star remains at neighbour's mercy - Mar 07, 2011
- All gone in fire, grieves 'Slumdog' star Rubina Ali - Mar 05, 2011
- Child star Rubina still in slum, but Marathi autobiography ready (With Images) - Jun 12, 2010
- Slumdog's Rubina to be homeless soon - Oct 07, 2009
- "Slumdog Millionaire" child actress Rubina Ali loses home in a fire - Mar 08, 2011
- 'Slumdog..' stars Rubina, Azhar to act in Hollywood movie - Jun 12, 2010
- Slumdog child star Rubina Ali left homeless - Dec 31, 2009
- Slumdog Kid gets a roof on his head - Jul 07, 2009
- 'Slumdog' kids finally get homes of their own - May 29, 2009
- 'Slumdog' kid's father slams Danny Boyle - May 27, 2009
- "Slumdog Millionaire" Actress Rubina Ali Loses Home - Jan 04, 2010
Tags: ali qureshi, better future, business manager, child actor, civic authorities, co star, director danny boyle, formalities, international fame, jai, mohammed ismail, mumbai, rehabilitation policy, rubina, santacruz, shanty, slum rehabilitation, square feet, step sister, sufferer