Slumdog accused of showing Indian charity in negative lightFebruary 19th, 2009 - 2:04 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 19 (ANI): Slumdog Millionaire has inadvertently caused negative publicity for The Hope Foundation, a charity that provides shelter for orphaned and abandoned children in Kolkata, it has emerged.
The charity has received hundreds of calls and emails from worried members of the public who confused it with the fictional ”Hope Orphanage” featured in the film.
In Danny Boyles flick, a criminal gangmaster tours the Mumbai slums in an orange minibus with ”Hope” written on the side and offers to ”rescue” the children, only to force them into a life of begging and prostitution.
In one horrific scene, staff gouges out a boy’’s eye with a spoon because blind beggars earn more money.
The Hope Foundation uses the same orange livery and also feature the word ”Hope” on its buses.
Staff at the charity is dismayed by the negative publicity.
“We are a well-recognised organisation and it would not have taken very much research to find out our name,” the Telegraph quoted a source, as saying.
And now, the makers of the Oscar frontrunner have been forced to give an explanation after the film implicated the real-life charity in the abuse of Indian street children.
Celador Films, which made the film, has not apologised to the charity but its chairman, Paul Smith, issued a statement confirming, “There was no intention to imply a connection with the Hope Foundation”. (ANI)
- Court demands explanations about orpahange excesses - Feb 15, 2012
- Abuse in orphanage: Court refuses to bar fresh probes - Feb 22, 2012
- Nine killed in Zambia bus accident - Jul 20, 2012
- Court dismisses Delhi orphanage's plea - Feb 29, 2012
- Angaadi Theru goes to Tollywood - Aug 26, 2010
- Scandalous state of Mathura's child welfare homes (Lead, changing dateline) - Jun 25, 2012
- Scandalous state of Mathura's child welfare homes - Jun 25, 2012
- Garfield named ambassador of orphans - Jul 01, 2012
- 20 killed in South Africa accident - Nov 15, 2011
- 2012 Pulitzer Prizes announced - Apr 17, 2012
- Indian-origin Louisiana Guv Jindal facing flak over donation to wife's charity - Mar 04, 2011
- Kolkata gears up to salute Mother Teresa Thursday (Lead) - Aug 25, 2010
- 17 killed in road accident in east China - Aug 06, 2011
- Toy fair ends with distribution of toys to orphans - Jul 04, 2011
- Beijing move to end street begging by children - Feb 11, 2012
Tags: beggars, boyles, chairman paul, flick, frontrunner, gouges, hope foundation, indian charity, kolkata, life charity, livery, london feb, minibus, mumbai slums, negative publicity, orphanage, paul smith, scene staff, spoon, word hope