“Skins” MTV Premiere Gets Mixed ReactionJanuary 18th, 2011 - 7:21 pm ICT by GD
By Meena Kar
Jan 18, (THAINDIAN NEWS) These days, MTV has been deviating its content from music to television dramas. After the popularity of “Jersey Shore”, MTV is back with yet another television drama, “Skin”, that was premiered yesterday.
“Skin” is inspired from its British counterpart, that was premiered in 2007, and was well received by the teenagers. The premiere episode of the Americanized version of “Skin”, was completely similar to the pilot episode of the British version. It introduced almost all the lead characters in the show, with their unique personality traits, friends, foes family and life style. However, the show actually aims to focus more on their wild lifestyles, that deals mostly with substance abuse, over doses of sex, drinking, partying and basically leading an unruly life. Many people say that this was perhaps not the best show of MTV as in a way it misguides the teenagers to pursue this type of lifestyle by glamorizing it under the MTV brand. It projects how these young characters help out their friends to lose their virginity and indulge in a lifestyle, that is rather derogatory for the tender minds of young teenagers. Many sources expected the channel to project these common teenage issues more skillfully, as there has been several bold yet responsible teen dramas like “My So Called Life” before.
On the other hand, the show projects the responsible parents as back dated, who are wildly disobeyed by these children. MTV describes its show as “funny, rude, shameless, lewd”. Although the pilot episode was a carbon replication of the British version, the channel has assured that it will slowly shape it in their own mold in order make it more unique.
- "Skins" TV Series Will Premiere On MTV From January - Oct 22, 2010
- Indian Idol Out, X Factor In - Jan 22, 2011
- Jesse Shore Ends, Third Season To Start In January Next Year - Oct 26, 2010
- MTV Confirms DJ Pauly D’s Own Solo Project - Dec 24, 2010
- Teenage Drama "My Life As Liz" Premieres On MTV - Jan 19, 2010
- Media watchdog group calls for child pornography probe of MTV's 'Skins' - Jan 21, 2011
- MTV Executive In No Mood To Change "Skins" - Feb 02, 2011
- "Young Justice" Premieres On Cartoon Network - Nov 27, 2010
- "The Chicago Code" Makes Its Debut On Fox - Feb 08, 2011
- MTV confirms two spinoffs of Jersey Shore - Apr 08, 2011
- MTV not canceling 'Skins': Network rep - Jan 27, 2011
- 'Animal Kingdom' heading to US TV - Dec 21, 2011
- MTV insists 'Skins' has not violated any child pornography laws - Jan 24, 2011
- MTV won’t modify the “Skins” plot! - Jan 27, 2011
- MTV Exec Stands By The Contentious 'Skins' Despite The Slight Slide In Viewership And Withdrawal Of Advertisers - Feb 02, 2011
Tags: british counterpart, friends foes, jersey shore, kar, life style, lifestyles, meena, mold, mtv, mtv brand, partying, personality traits, pilot episode, premiere episode, replication, responsible parents, teenage issues, television drama, television dramas, virginity