Sir Sean Connery to come out of retirement for St Andrews docuAugust 26th, 2010 - 5:33 pm ICT by ANI
London, August 26 (ANI): Sir Sean Connery is all set to return to the screen to help Scotland’s oldest university celebrate its 600th anniversary.
The James Bond icon - who holds an honorary degree from St Andrews - has agreed to front a film charting its official history.
Sir Sean is expected to narrate the documentary, and it is hoped he will also appear on screen.
It is being produced by the independent film-maker Murray Grigor, Sir Sean’s long-time collaborator, and co-writer of his memoirs.
The documentary will be used to help attract overseas students to St Andrews, promote fundraising initiatives and boost the anniversary celebrations in the run-up to the official anniversary date in 2013.
It will chart the origins of the university, from its roots within the Augustinian priory at St Andrews Cathedral, which go back to 1410, and explain how the Pope had a key role in the official incorporation of the university.
The film will explain how the university has maintained its position as one of the most sought-after in the UK, and it is hoped many of the university’s best-known graduates will feature.
The university film would be Sir Sean’s first on-screen appearance since being coaxed out of retirement to appear in the promotional film for the 2009 Year of Homecoming.
“Louise Richardson, the principal of the university, approached Sean himself and he agreed to get involved, and asked if the university could work with me,” the Scotsman quoted Grigor as saying.
“It’s very early days, but I’ve already started work on the script for it, and we should hopefully start some filming in the next few months.
“St Andrews has an absolutely extaordinary history and tradition, particularly around its formation,” Grigor added. (ANI)
- Sean Connery to ring NYSE bell - May 17, 2012
- Edinburgh to celebrate Connery's 80th birthday - May 27, 2010
- Connery says no to Bond's 50th anniversary celebrations - Jan 31, 2011
- Sean Connery prefers golf to being guest of honour at Tartan Week - Apr 04, 2011
- Sir Sean Connery dumps public life for golf - Apr 08, 2011
- Wills-Kate romance to get movie treatment - Jan 29, 2011
- Connery gets bronze statue in Estonia - Jan 28, 2011
- 'Empire Strikes Back' director Irvin Kershner dies aged 87 - Nov 30, 2010
- Sir Christopher Lee To Recceive BAFTA Honor - Feb 10, 2011
- Ryan Reynolds in 'Highlander' remake - Jun 29, 2012
- Japan's Mount Shinomoedake volcano erupts - Jan 27, 2011
- Pierce Brosnan thinks he 'never really nailed' 007 role - Apr 15, 2010
- One more screening of 'Sikkim' at Kolkata Film Festival - Nov 16, 2010
- Sean Connery may come out of retirement for movie on war veteran - Jul 28, 2009
- Australian heart-throb Hugh Jackman named the 'best hat wearer' - Jun 01, 2009
Tags: anniversary celebrations, augustinian priory, docu, fundraising initiatives, homecoming, honorary degree, incorporation, independent film maker, james bond, key role, louise richardson, memoirs, murray grigor, oldest university, overseas students, screen appearance, sean connery, st andrews cathedral, time collaborator, university film