Sir Roger Moore honoured with Dag Hammarskjold Inspiration awardNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:56 am ICT by admin
While receiving the award, he said that he is glad to be an actor because his fame has allowed him to devote his time to good causes. Bond will never go away, thank goodness. But I would like to think I’ve done some good in the world,” The BBC quoted Moore, as telling Radio 4’s Today programme.
“I’ve been an exceedingly lucky actor, and the luck of it all was that I was able to come and work for UNICEF,” Moore said.
The legendary actor is only the second recipient of the award.
“He is passionate, he is compassionate. He is a champion for children,” said Unicef executive director Ann M Veneman.
The prestigious humanitarian award is presented in memory of the second United Nations Secretary-General, Dag Hammarskjold, who died in a plane crash in Sept 1961. (ANI)
- Daniel Craig is the best Bond: Roger Moore - Aug 29, 2012
- I am not funny: Daniel Craig - Sep 03, 2012
- Mehta thrilled to receive Arjuna - Aug 31, 2012
- Orlando Bloom, Beth Ditto among big winners at Bambi Awards - Nov 13, 2010
- UN to mark day commemorating peacekeepers - May 27, 2011
- Donald Sutherland honored in France - Jun 11, 2012
- Roger Moore beaten up by former wives - Sep 12, 2012
- Eight Pakistani soldiers get posthumous UN medals - May 30, 2011
- Three killed Indian peacekeepers to be honoured - May 25, 2012
- Actor Orlando Bloom named Unicef goodwill ambassador - Oct 13, 2009
- Craig wasn't interested in 'James Bond' role - Jul 22, 2011
- Lack of innocence in Hindi films worries Juhi (Movie Snippets) - Jul 19, 2012
- Vijay, Yogeshwar awarded Khel Ratna; Yuvraj gets Arjuna (Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- Richard Gere injured, shooting put off for six weeks - Sep 03, 2010
- Sarah Jessica Parker's 15-year wait for Hugh Grant finally ends - Dec 25, 2009
Tags: ann m veneman, bbc, champion, dag hammarskjold, goodness, honoured, humanitarian award, inspiration award, legendary actor, plane crash, prestigious humanitarian, radio 4, recipient, unicef executive director, united nations secretary general