Sir Michael Caine thanks France for the wrong awardJanuary 7th, 2011 - 2:55 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jan 07 (ANI): Sir Michael Caine recently became a Commander of the Order of Arts and Letters in France.
But he mistakenly thought he had received the Legion of Honour, France’s highest award, and thanked the French for the same.
The ceremony took place in the Palais Royal, next door to the Louvre in Paris, which the legendary actor attended with his Indian-born wife Shakira, reports the Daily Mail.
In his acceptance speech the 77-year-old actor referred to former James Bond star Sean Connery and the late Hollywood great Gregory Peck.
They had both received the Legion of Honour, France’s highest civilian award, because, Caine suggested, they had French wives - leaving him wondering why he had just got one.
As the medal was hung around his neck by French culture minister Frederic Mitterand, the actor said: “I’d always thought you had to have a French wife to get the Legion d’Honneur, but it turns out you don’t.”
Later he said: ‘Someone told me it was the Legion of Honour’.
In fact, Caine became a Commander of the Order of Arts and Letters - a far less prestigious award for those who have “contributed to the enrichment of French cultural heritage”.
Nevertheless, Sir Michael still made a moving speech in which he praised France, saying: “I’ve always loved this country, the food, the people.
Displaying an impressive command of the French language, he said: “I didn’t know whether the French loved me and thought maybe it was a one-way affair. But now I have this award, I know they love me.” (ANI)
- Michael Caine received highest French honour - Jan 07, 2011
- Galliano stripped of French honour - Aug 26, 2012
- Donald Sutherland honored in France - Jun 11, 2012
- Lata 'doubly honoured' for being chosen for French award - Dec 01, 2009
- Marion Cotillard, Tim Burton receive French honour - Mar 16, 2010
- Hayek to receive French honour - Jan 03, 2012
- France wants greater investment in Indian infrastructure - May 13, 2011
- Marianne Faithfull receives one of France's highest cultural honours - Mar 24, 2011
- Robert Redford Conferred The Knight Of The Legion Of Honor By French President - Oct 15, 2010
- Sarkozy presents Clint Eastwood with French honour - Nov 14, 2009
- Lata Mangeshkar conferred with Officer de la Légion d'Honneur - Dec 03, 2009
- Nandita Das bestowed French honour - Apr 16, 2011
- Polanski demonisation has turned me away from left-wing: Carla Bruni - Feb 01, 2011
- Soumitra Chatterjee named for Dada Saheb Phalke award (Lead) - Mar 21, 2012
- Louvre museum looks for cooperation with India - Dec 03, 2011
Tags: acceptance speech, arts and letters, born wife, ceremony took place, cultural heritage, culture minister, daily mail, french culture, french wife, gregory peck, james bond star, legendary actor, legion d honneur, legion of honour, london jan, louvre in paris, michael caine, prestigious award, sean connery, star sean connery