Sir Elton John’s naked girls artwork proclaimed not indecentNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:55 am ICT by admin
“The evidence is insufficient to justify proceedings,” the Sun quoted the CPS as saying in a statement.
The CPS reached the same conclusion when it examined the photo, Klara and Edda Belly Dancing by American Nan Goldin, in 2001.
Kerrie Bell, head of the CPS Northumbria South Unit, said that to hold the picture indecent now, the CPS would have to be satisfied that “standards of propriety” had changed so much since 2001 that a court might also deem the photo to be indecent.
She also revealed that she herself did not think that there had been such a great change in the standards.
“I am not satisfied that is the case. Even if the photograph was now considered to be indecent, a defendant would be able to raise a legitimate defence, given that the photograph was distributed for the purposes of display in a contemporary art gallery after having been deemed not to be indecent by the earlier investigation,” the BBC quoted her as saying.
“Accordingly, I am of the opinion that the evidence is insufficient to justify proceedings for offences of possession or distribution of an indecent photograph,” she added.
The announcement of from the CPS has been welcomed by the Baltic, which said in a statement: “We are pleased that this matter has now been resolved. We endeavoured to cooperate with the authorities throughout, but at the same time are very disappointed that this incident necessitated the early closure of an important exhibition.”
The “Thanksgiving” exhibition of 148 photographs owned by Sir Elton was due to run until 20 January, but it closed after nine days after the singer personally requested the organisers for the same. (ANI)
- When photographs speak the language of art (With Image) - Mar 21, 2011
- Photo exhibition opens on 2010 Pakistan floods - Aug 01, 2011
- New York's famed Rubin Museum to exhibit photos of India-Nepal sadhus - Jan 09, 2011
- Swedish embassy to hold photography competition - Jun 18, 2012
- National Museum promises better maintenance and display - Dec 13, 2011
- 'Nikita' lawsuit meritless: Elton John - Apr 28, 2012
- Art travels responsible road in India, markets look up (2010 in Retrospect) (With Image) - Dec 21, 2010
- Selja inaugurates British photography exhibition - Mar 11, 2011
- F.N. Souza's London years by Ida Kar in Delhi - Oct 05, 2011
- India Art Summit brings together art lovers in capital - Jan 21, 2011
- Google launches virtual tour of world's finest museums - Feb 02, 2011
- New York-based Indian artist talks of farm distress (With image) - Jan 15, 2012
- Kumari Selja inaugurates contemporary photography exhibition - Mar 10, 2011
- Czech painter Roman Tyc uses human ashes in his paintings - Sep 29, 2011
- Delhi's ex-street kid in top US photography show (With Image) - Aug 03, 2011
Tags: 20 january, baltic, bbc, bell head, belly dancing, contemporary art gallery, cps, disappointed, edda, evidence, exhibition, gateshead, kerrie, legitimate defence, naked girls, nan goldin, northumbria police, photograph, proceedings, sir elton john