Sir Ben Kingsley may return to Coronation StreetFebruary 6th, 2009 - 1:11 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 6 (ANI): Veteran actor Sir Ben Kingsley has hinted that he might return to Coronation Street the same soap opera which marked the beginning of his career 40 years ago.
It was after appearing in Coronation Street, that Lancashire-raised Sir Ben Kinsley carved a niche for himself in theatre, before winning an Oscar for his most commended role as Indian spiritual leader Gandhi.
Oh I did enjoy my time on Coronation Street. I said I might go back, have a pint in the Rovers Return. I have very fond memories. I think a long-running soap is a very interesting way of looking at the social history of a time and a place, The Sun quoted Sir Ben, as telling TV biz.
And this took place in Salford, so it was very much my territory and my background. It was a marvellous show, he added.
Sir Ben said making the ITV soap was almost like live TV or theatre.
We had huge cameras with great thick tapes, and we ran from one part of the studio to the other to keep the tapes rolling. Quite marvelous. Very exciting, he said.
Sir Ben would join a long list of knighted celebrities to grace the cobbles. Sir Ian McKellen, Sir Cliff Richard and Sir Norman Wisdom have all appeared in the soap.
Even Prince Charles got in the 40th anniversary episode, where he was shown around Weatherfield by then Mayoress Audrey Roberts. (ANI)
- McKellen wants pantomime comeback - Aug 26, 2011
- Ian McKellen buys historic pub - Oct 01, 2011
- McKellen considered quitting 'The Hobbit' - Jan 14, 2011
- Ian McKellen may quit 'The Hobbit' - Jul 06, 2010
- Ian McKellen May Opt Out Of "The Hobbit" For Production Delays - Jul 08, 2010
- 'Coronation Street' to be spiced up with more girlie action - Oct 24, 2010
- Judi Dench voted greatest stage star - Dec 17, 2010
- McKellen bemoans declining standards of British theatre - Sep 27, 2010
- 'Coronation Street' is world's longest-running soap - Sep 25, 2010
- When a passer-by mistook Sir Ian McKellen for a tramp - May 07, 2010
- Sir Ian McKellen knows what he wants written on his gravestone - Nov 17, 2009
- Whoopi Goldberg confuses 'Lord of the Rings' wizard with Harry Potter's - Nov 09, 2009
- Ben Kingsley's fourth wife 'doesn't care about his failed marriages' - Apr 02, 2011
- Brit actor slams sports world for not accepting homosexuality - Jan 22, 2010
- Cash-driven actors ruining Brit theatre, says Sir Ian McKellen - Sep 27, 2010
Tags: 40th anniversary, audrey roberts, ben kingsley, cobbles, coronation street, fond memories, ian mckellen, london feb, norman wisdom, prince charles, rovers return, sir ben kingsley, sir cliff richard, sir ian mckellen, sir norman wisdom, soap opera, time and a place, tv biz, veteran actor, weatherfield