Single man inseminating 30 lesbians sparks incest fears Down UnderOctober 9th, 2008 - 5:52 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Oct 9 (ANI): Unregulated sperm donation Down Under has led to an unusual situation where children of lesbians are mixing socially creating potential risk for incestuous relationships.
According to one of South Australia’’s foremost experts in reproductive technology, Andrew Dutney, one reported case, about 30 lesbians were impregnated by sperm from one man, the Advertiser reported.
The mothers then organised picnics with all the children, raising the fear they might socialize with their half-siblings without realizing they were related.
In another case, a mans sperm produced 29 children, all of whom were living in Adelaide. These children are unaware who their siblings are.
All of these children were born about 10 years ago, which means they will reach adolescence in a few years.
In South Australia, the law says infertility treatments are only for infertile couples or those at risk for transmitting a serious defect. Thus, gays and lesbians generally have to find donors outside the system, Dutney said, reports the Daily Telegraph.
Dutney, the former chairman of the SA Council on Reproductive Technology and Associate Professor of Theology at Flinders University, said the SA regulations were at fault and should be repealed altogether, leaving reproductive medical units to comply with the national ethical guidelines. (ANI)
- Scientists succeed in growing sperm in lab dish - Jan 03, 2012
- China sets up bank to freeze eggs of women cancer patients - Dec 26, 2010
- Virgin Trent Arsenault fathers 15 kids - Feb 09, 2012
- Unhealthy lifestyle does not affect sperm quality: Study - Jun 13, 2012
- Test-tube sperm promises cure to male infertility - Mar 25, 2011
- Sperm drought in Victoria prompts calls to ease restrictions on imports - Feb 20, 2011
- How DNA analysis confirmed Osama bin Laden's death - May 04, 2011
- Shanghai sperm bank has 100,000 samples - Sep 10, 2012
- 16 years after son died, child born to elerly Haryana couple - Feb 29, 2012
- Test to identify 'best' sperm developed - May 29, 2010
- Australian lesbian couple blessed with five babies - Oct 05, 2010
- Study reveals that using Wi-Fi on a laptop 'damages sperm' - Nov 30, 2011
- New male infertility test could 'bring hope to millions' - Jun 07, 2011
- Capacity to father kids drops with every year - Oct 20, 2011
- At-home tests not best to assess infertility: Study - Oct 27, 2010
Tags: adolescence, associate professor, daily telegraph, donors, ethical guidelines, flinders university, foremost experts, gays and lesbians, incest, incestuous relationships, infertile couples, infertility, infertility treatments, medical units, picnics, reproductive technology, siblings, single man, south australia, sperm donation